“Great place for the kids”
Review of National Aviary

National Aviary
Ranked #14 of 176 things to do in Pittsburgh
More attraction details
Owner description: Amazing collection of more than 600 exotic and endangered birds from nearly every continent.
Pottsville, Pennsylvania
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great place for the kids”
Reviewed May 16, 2013

First time visiting in all my year coming to the Burgh. Little pricey for a family outing, but very informative and helpful staff. Plan on an hour and a half to two hour w/ lots to see. Parking kinda limited.

Visited May 2013

Mechanicsburg, PA
58 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 240 helpful votes
“A Birder's World”
Reviewed May 14, 2013

I visited the National Aviary for the first time on a Sunday just a few weeks ago. Even though, I am not a bird watcher, as I prefer hobbies that involve more action and excitement, I still thought the aviary might be a neat place to check out. The line to get in and pay was short with just two or three families ahead of me and my party. Boy, was I wrong when I thought the line seemed short. It took at least 10 minutes for the families to purchase tickets. The ticket seller tried to upsell and promote every single thing the place had to offer to everyone, when all I wanted was a single ticket! Adult admission costs $13, and that does not include everything. Some shows and bird encounters cost extra money. Upon entry, I was provided with a map and show schedule for the day.

The aviary was very crowded with families, little kids, and strollers. It was hard to walk down pathways at times because of the crowds. The aviary has a number of exhibits featuring different types of birds. There are penguins, eagles, wetlands birds, tropical birds, owls, lorikeets, and more. It was really interesting to see and learn about the birds. The aviary also is home to some birds that are almost extinct in the wild, and here, many birds are held safely in captivity. Throughout the day, there were various shows and feedings to watch. Get to each show early because they become very crowded...fast. My favorite show was the penguin feeding and my favorite bird was the beautiful, purple parrot. The other shows were just ok because they were so crowded I couldn't see or hear anything the presenter was doing or saying. The lorikeet feeding was fun for an extra $3. Here, you get to let the rainbow lorikeets eat nectar from a cup in your hands. The birds land on your arms and fly around you. Neat experience. Don't forget the camera. The one thing I wish I would have done was watch the Parrots of the Caribbean Show. I've heard that it is worth seeing.

The aviary also has a small gift shop and café. I did not patronize either one.

I received moderate satisfaction from my visit to the aviary. I was disappointed at the size of the place. I expected much bigger and a better value for my money. I expected to spend an entire day at the aviary, though I only needed to spend about 2 hours to cover it all. For the size of the place, I think the admission price should be cheaper. Also, I believe I would have enjoyed my experience more if I would have visited during an non-peak time. I would have gotten more out of the shows. I highly recommend avoiding the place on the weekend. Lastly, I liked seeing the birds, though I found myself bored at times. I think the zoo and aquarium would have been a much better value and more exciting! I'd only recommend visiting if you are a bird watcher or someone who is looking for a very unique attraction. Otherwise, go to the zoo.

Visited April 2013
Cumming, Georgia, United States
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“LOVED the Aviary!”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

The interactive show led by the staff was excellent- lots to see and do as a couple or with your family. Highly recommend.

Visited December 2012
Saint Louis, Missouri, United States
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“A little expensive, but very cool”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

The exhibits were very cool. They have some different themes like wetlands and tropical rainforest. There was a really cool penguin exhibit that you could get up close and personal with the penguins and they have some huge eagles.
They also have feedings every hour which is really neat.

Visited April 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Not just for the birds.”
Reviewed May 6, 2013

The National Aviary on Pittsburgh's North Side is well worth a visit. There are lots of tropical and colorful birds to see in several rooms, as well as a penguin exhibit where you can see the penguins up close and maybe even get a chance to help feed them. Plan on a 2-3 hour visit.

Visited August 2012