“A "must see" for anyone who likes birds!”
Review of National Aviary

National Aviary
Ranked #14 of 182 things to do in Pittsburgh
More attraction details
Owner description: Amazing collection of more than 600 exotic and endangered birds from nearly every continent.
Reviewed April 6, 2013

I was here this week with my sons and was pleasantly surprised that for a place I'd only heard of days before, the Aviary was full of birds I hadn't seen before. And the staff with whom we came in contact could not have been friendlier or more informative! A very intimate setting where you can come in very close contact with the birds. We paid extra for the "Penguin Encounter" which got us a private session with a Penguin and their handler. I've seen penguins a lot of places before, but never in a private room with the opportunity to talk with their handler one-on-one and actually "pet" the animal. Wow!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,134)

Reviewed April 4, 2013

I really enjoyed our trip to the aviary. I loved watching the variety of birds and learning more about them from the "bird boards." This is the first trip I've taken since the re-model and I guess I have mixed feelings- I think I liked it better before. Now, everything is seperated and it seems smaller somehow. Before, I felt more connected to the birds. But it is still certainly worth the trip, and a beautiful place.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

Worth the trip. The birds seem very well taken care of, and there is a great variety for the size of the facility. The continuation of this Aviary is a labor of love, and its cool history adds to its charm.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

We really liked it but it only takes about 2 hrs if you're slow. The Show they put on was incredible and my kids loved it. They still talk about the size of the Stellar's Sea Eagle. It looked like it could fly away with a small deer.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

This is my first time at the aviary since they re-modeled it years ago. It was educational and fun. I enjoyed the eagle exhibit but felt sorry for the birds. The enclosures are so small! I am not sure how I feel about that. I think they might be better off not having them because it seems cruel. We did enjoy the penguin corner and the tropical birds. We purchased a small cup of nectar and fed the "lories". At one point, I was "wearing" 3 brightly colored little birds! Loved it!