“I don't think this place is that great”

Carnegie Science Center
Ranked #15 of 182 things to do in Pittsburgh
More attraction details
Owner description: Explore science in a new way! A day at the Science Center is filled with science adventures guaranteed to ignite the "wow! hmm...aha!" in all of us. Visit us to experience four floors of interactive exhibits. Explore the galaxy without ever leaving the North Shore at the Buhl Planetarium. Watch hair-raising live shows and discover an array of programs for the whole family!
Reviewed March 17, 2013

High cost to get in. around 17 per person. Most of the attractions are missing pieces, and missing parts. Kids will enjoy it, but not worth the price... They need to fix it up, and inspect the attractions so they're not missing pieces. You can't expect to change 17 and have half the stuff not functioning properly. I would not go back unless things are in working order condition. Also poor choices I. The cafeteria. Take your own food...

1  Thank Superb007
Write a ReviewReviews (1,037)

Reviewed March 17, 2013

My boyfriend and I went here last Christmas. He used to come when he was a kid to see the train exhibit. He was a little worried that it wouldn't live up to his memory, but it was awesome! It was really big and had tons of intricate details and little scenes of Pittsburgh. We also had fun checking out all their other "special exhibits" and playing with demonstrations. It was still a great time even though we didn't have little ones with us. :)

Reviewed March 16, 2013

The Science Center, along with _SportsWorks_, is an extraordinary experience. Along with the FUN part, if you thought 'learning' was boring, you are in for a tremendous surprise, for adults as well as for children. Don't forget about the 4-story surround Rangos Omnimax Theater, the Buhl Digital Planetarium and the USS Requin, an honest-to-goodness submarine.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Spent the day at the Science Center today with a 3 yr old and a 5 yr old. They loved it. Loved the submarine and the sports building as well. Was expensive thats for sure. Spent $60 to get the four of us in. Had no problem spending 5 hrs there so we got our moneys worth. Did not see the movie. The 4th floor was fun for the littles. Lots to touch and do. Would recommend for younger kids.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

My young cousin - 8yo - was in town for a visit so we took a stroll down to the Carnegie Science Center. What a blast. First, my cousin is really into how things work so we knew he'd love it. And he did. What I didn't realize is how much fun I would have. Maybe he was infectious, or maybe it's just that it is almost impossible to get bored there. regardless, it was a terrific time. I did find the price a little steep, but I don't go to a lot of science centers so it might be fair. Just check the price before going.

A couple of other things to keep in mind:
*the submarine located on the river behind the museum is part of your ticket and really interesting. We spoke to one of the volunteers who actually served on the same type of sub. It is a little tight in there and smells heavily of gas/oil, which made one of our group and a couple of another group nauseous. So beware.
*Next door to the main building is the Sports Science Center, also part of our ticket. Rock climbing walls, pitching, tracks, a ton of physical activities with a smidgeon of science thrown in. Don't miss it.
*If you don't enjoy being surrounded by kids or don't feel comfortable going there without a kid in tow - and it did seem unattended adults might be unwelcome - they have a quarterly adults only nights so keep an eye out for those. Good chance to be a kid yourself.

In short, this is a great place to take the kids (yours or visiting) for some fun. If they're not worn out after the main building, the sports science center will do the trick. But as an adult you're not going to be bored either.