“a lot to see!”

Carnegie Science Center
Ranked #15 of 183 things to do in Pittsburgh
More attraction details
Owner description: Explore science in a new way! A day at the Science Center is filled with science adventures guaranteed to ignite the "wow! hmm...aha!" in all of us. Visit us to experience four floors of interactive exhibits. Explore the galaxy without ever leaving the North Shore at the Buhl Planetarium. Watch hair-raising live shows and discover an array of programs for the whole family!
Reviewed February 25, 2013

The Science Center is one of those wonderful places in Pittsburgh that gives us "autism families" a discount (or anyone with an MA card), and it is FULL of activities and neat things for the kids to do! It can be a little overwhelming for our child who is affected by autism, but being able to have his photo taken, and emailed to us at home, with R2D2 more than makes up for it. We also really love the large fish tank.

1  Thank Naomi K

Reviewed February 19, 2013

My kids had a blast here. Tons of hands on things for them to do and the staff there was very friendly and loved to explain how things worked.

Good time...loved the Sportsplex next door as well.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

I was expecting a science center more like the Ontario science centre. Very interesting and interactive for kids, but definitely not for adults.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

Great place to spend the day with your children, grandchildren or by yourself. Many of the exhibits are interactive making it a true educational experience.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

My giant service dog in training, Mon Equi, my date and I spent hours here enjoying the activities. If I had taken kids instead of a dog, it would have gotten top grade, but service dog partners beware: You are surrounded by children - noisy, excited, exuberant children. Qui was touched occasionally by unattended older children who simply did not know any better. Although she adores children, the poor dog was overwhelmed. She buried her head between my knees at one rest point, I am thinking to block out the noise and sight of all these little bundles of energy.
She did recover by the basketball tossing robot. Ball? BALL? And she did very well in the IMAX since she got to sleep.

Kudos to the wonderful staffer who, seeing our need, invited us to use an elevator to which he had a key, and then got us chairs to sit in an area of the theater that eliminated the need for me to negotiate the stairs. He made me feel like I was not in any way disabled. Staff everywhere were accomodating without being overly solicitous. That is a hard balance to strike so whoever gave them training, it is appreciated. We watched the Hubble movie. Any space nerd would love it. Can't wait to go back for the tornado movie. And kudos to the parents. When kids wanted to treat Qui like one of the interactive exhibits, the parents were terrific in teaching the kids why a working dog should not be touched. And parents also taught their children to politely ask to touch her. With the courtesy they showed, I hated to have to tell them no, but had taught Qui to 'wave' on command for these occasions.

Also worth visiting was the gift shop. Had any of the supernerd items for sale been available to me when I was a kid, my life may have taken a different career path - a smarter, richer, way cooler life! Parents and boyfriends, take plenty of money - intelligent toys cost $$

1  Thank Monequi