“Great place for children!”

Children's Museum of Pittsburgh
Ranked #22 of 180 things to do in Pittsburgh
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Hi! We're having a great time at Children's Museum of Pittsburgh and the only thing missing is you. MAKESHOP, our tinkering space, has real tools and materials such as wood, sewing machines, hammers, nails, a loom, animation station and more. Jump right in, that circuit isn't going to build itself! The Art Studio is calling for your creative energy to design and ink a silkscreen, paint, sculpt clay and create something unique alongside the many working artists who visit. Young ones, you are royalty in the Nursery, a space filled with colors, shapes and textures perfect for your growing minds and bodies. The Attic, Garage and Waterplay (because it's just not fun until your underwear is soaked) round out the permanent exhibits. But not so fast. From marching bands, slam poets and cultural traditions to letters that fall from the ceiling and a crawling maze made out of packing tape, our temporary exhibits, performers, programs, artists-in-residence and artwork are particularly awesome too. If we don't hear the protests of departing kids at the end of each day, we're not doing our jobs right.
Reviewed May 8, 2013

We took my kids to the Children's Museum and they had a wonderful time. I was able to get a discount card from a friend. Not sure if I would return; the price is exorbitant.

1  Thank JenkinsFamily03
There are newer reviews for Children's Museum of Pittsburgh

Reviewed May 8, 2013

Loved that art served as the basis of many exhibits here. Lots of interaction and exploration with room for creativity and self-discovery.

1  Thank LPofEP
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We were in Pittsburgh in late April visiting relatives and went to this museum with our almost 4 year old twin boys and they had such a great time I wish we had been able to stay for a whole day. This was probably one of the best children's museums that we've been to. Most of the museum was geared for kids a little older than mine, but there was still lots of things that my preschoolers could participate in and look at. They loved the art activities and the top level water exhibit. I would recommend bringing a change of clothes with you and put your kids in waterproof shoes - I wasn't prepared and my kids got quite wet and shoes are required. If I had this museum in the city I live in, I'd be there once a month. I highly recommend it.

1  Thank tigger022
Reviewed May 3, 2013

We have been to the Children's Museum of Pittsburgh many times with our latest visit just yesterday. We love this museum. Both my 5 year old and 1 year old have lots of opportunity to play collaboratively and independently. The nursery section has lots of fabulous activities like a bird seed pit for digging in and a giant lightbright! My 5 year old is pretty entertained even though she's agreeing to go there mostly to entertain you younger sister. My 5 year old adores the studio where we get a chance to silk screen and do other art projects. The Make Shop, the Garage and the rotating exhibits are also a lot of fun and will keep entertaining my older daughter for the next couple of years.
The real highlight of our trip yesterday was the new waterplay. It was fabulous! The little one liked splashing around and the older enjoyed building a dam, working a pump and walking in the rain. I had a great time too! I wouldn't miss this part... but I would make sure the kids are in waterproof shoes and bring a change of clothes. Even though my 5yo was wearing a raincoat she was still drenched by the end.
We easily spend 5+ hours here when we have the time.
And, the cafeteria has lots of good healthy options that are all relatively tasty. Check out the robot serving frozen yogurt. It was very cool.

1  Thank rkf211
Reviewed May 1, 2013

Our kidsand family have been here several times and love it. As they age they like other parts other the museum. It is a lot of fun to see the kids play and learn. Watch out during the end of the school year as many school go on field trips and it can be nasty with to many kids at the same place the kids all want to have hands on and they can't
if it is to busy.