“Worst experience at hotel ever”

Comfort Inn - Pittsburgh / Steubenville Pike
Ranked #60 of 72 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed July 29, 2011

This was one of the worst hotel experiences I have ever had and I travel quite often and everywhere. Pillows were small and uncomfortable. Pipes in room were so loud it was as if next door neighbors were showering in the living area of our room.

Worker entered room without knocking and ignored do not disturb sign
when we complained at check out the front desk attendant verbally attacked us and accused us of signing out of room ( I have not even heard of the practice) We asked to see sign out sheet and they had forged my signature, an illegal practice to protect his fellow employee. Unsafe, Unclean and Unreasonable is no way to run a hotel.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business

Reviewed July 20, 2011

Well, my family and I stayed at this Comfort Inn three days/nights in July and had concerns about the overall security. First of all, the stairwell door that opens to the parking lot was OPEN each day that we returned to hotel….twice in the afternoon and twice in the evening. Secondly, our room door was left WIDE OPEN when we returned around 11pm on the last evening of our stay. The man at the front desk said that housekeeping likely left of room door open and simply forgot to shut it when finished. He asked me to call down to the front desk if anything was missing or seems “out of place”, but didn’t offer to come up to our floor to inspect the room. I don’t know about the other rooms, but our room door does not automatically close. I also stated my concern about the “frequently open” stairwell door that opens to the side parking lot and he suggested that guests likely open the door and forget to shut it. I informed him that the door closing device was broken and the door does not automatically close. Again, it seems strange that the hotel staff does not walk through to ensure that the hotel is secure and/or notice the often opened side door. In the end nothing was taken from our room, but we all had difficulty getting to sleep on that last night. I’ll give two stars simply because the room was clean and the décor was nice.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank lewf
Reviewed July 12, 2011

I inadvertently booked a smoking room when I can not handle the smell. The hotel was full except for the hot tub suite. The gentleman at the front desk was very nice and upgraded me at no charge.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed June 19, 2011

The first thing....you can't make a left hand turn into this property. You have to drive down the road a bit and turn around elsewhere, so you can come back and turn right. This also means you can't turn left from here either. You turn right, go to the next property, come out at the traffic light, then turn left. However, once we made it in, the staff was friendly, rooms were clean. We had a great view (sarcasm) of a mountain about 20 feet from our window. Overall, for the price, it served the purpose. We just needed a place to sleep for a night. The continental breakfast was decent, also.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed May 2, 2011

I had reserved a non-smoking room. When I arrived, I was told that there were no more non-smoking rooms left, so I was upgraded to a king jacuzzi suite. The room was still a smoking room. There were burn holes in the bedspread, the tile was loose around the jacuzzi and lifting up. The worst part was finding the cigarette butt on the desk chair and ashes all over the desk chair. I went to Walmart and purchased a bottole of Febreze to make the smell tolerable. Nothing was done by the management to compensate for this inconvenience. I will never stay here again.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed March 24, 2011

My husband and I drove from the Philadelphia suburbs to Batavia, Ohio for a family members birthday party and we made a stop in Pittsburgh for our halfway mark. We've stayed at other Comfort Inns over the years, and have never dealt with something so repugnant.
We arrived around seven at night. The woman at the front desk either couldn't or wouldn't understand "smoking room with a king or queen sized bed" so getting the room took much longer than it should have. At first we were impressed at the size of the room, but after taking a shower I saw that the towels hadn't been changed. There was toothpaste on the one smaller towel from the previous occupant, make-up stains on the other and god-knows-what on the larger towels. When I went to use the bathroom, it hadn't been cleaned. There was a nice fecal sample left on the bowl.
The bed was full of someones hair that wasn't mine or my husbands.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jennyCash29
Reviewed October 29, 2010

We had room 303 on the third floor. Except for room 301, our room was surrounded with smoking rooms. We also noted that many non-smoking rooms were surrounded by smoking rooms. The smell of smoke permeated the halls and seeped into our room. Also the TV must be turned on and off manually, so while you can change channels from your bed, you must get out of bed to turn off the TV. The desk clerk told me the TV's in ALL the rooms work that way.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple