“Yummy.”

Ranked #354 of 2,205 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed November 13, 2012

I recently went to silk road for the first time. I am VERY picky about my food and it was FANTASTIC. I really enjoyed the atmosphere as well. Highly recommend this restaurant for great Chinese food.

Reviewed July 15, 2012

Standard American Chinese food that was average at best (2 meals). Mongolian lamb was extremely salty and the white crispy noodles added nothing except sharp jabs. Cashew chicken in a white sauce was bland--nothing but celery and a few pieces of chicken and some cashews. Vietnamese spring rolls were fried things filled with only some cabbage and no spices; fried shrimp balls were cooked well but needed flavor. Moo goo gai pai (not on menu, but was cooked for patron) was tasteless. Mixed seafood on lo mein was not too bad. Pork dish was best of bunch. We traded around and I kept going back to the pork. Twenty two years in West Virginia has prepared me for okay Chinese food, but my local place (Taste of Asia) does a better job. My years in San Francisco spoiled me for Chinese food, no doubt, but the Silk Road is just plain ol' plain. I wanted to like it; our waiter was pleasant, the decor was comfortable, the menu had variety, but it just wasn't that good.

Reviewed May 8, 2012

For our money, there is no better Chinese food in Pittsburgh. We've been fans of Silk Road since they were on Bower Hill Road in Mt. Lebanon. The quality of the food and service kept us going there, even though it was your typical Chinese restaurant in a strip mall (read: tired but clean decor)

Banish all thoughts of that. Yes, it's still in a strip mall, that may have one of the worst parking lot designs of all times and can be a real problem to access. For those who are familiar, Silk Road is now in the Caste Village shops, near Armstrongs. But the inside of the restaurant is very well done, if a bit noisy at times. Modern surroundings in a cozy, warm setting, Really large groups can be a problem, but can be done.

Full bar and everything, but the food is really good. This is not your average Americanized fare. That's there too, but the house specialities like Ma La Beans, Clay Pot Chicken and one of my favorites, Eight Pearl Duck, are very well prepared and not found at your typical establishment. I try the Egg Rolls at any Chinese place I go to, none compare to Silk Road.

Simply, I've never had a bad meal here. Service is usually very good and attentive, but like all restaurants, that can vary with the server too. Prices might be a bit on the high side, but again, you get what you pay for. Portions of most plates are generous that you won't leave hungry or you'll take it with you!

To me, the only downside of Silk Road is the location. The parking lot is poorly designed for traffic flow and when the shopping center is busy, it's really congested and obnoxious. It can be a challenge to get to, but to me, Silk Road is worth that challenge. As a final

Reviewed May 6, 2012

If you are looking for a good Chinese restaurant in Pittsburgh, forget all the Americanized Chinese restaurants and travel to the Silk Road. While there are the "standards" on the menu, dig a little deeper and try some of the "House Specials." The fried turnip cakes are great as an appetizer and I can wholeheartedly recommend the Hot-Sour soup as well. Two of my entree course offerings are the Mongolian Lamb and the Beef with Chives. Both have a sauce that is full-bodied without being thick. The spices are well-balanced without losing the heat that I look for in Chinese foods.

The restaurant is located in the Caste Village Center in the Baldwin/Whitehall area of Pittsburgh - South. If you listen carefully, you will hear that the background music is tunes from Broadway shows. The restaurant will be expanding in the near future to include a sushi bar.

Reviewed April 17, 2012

We always like this. Very helpfull service. Good spicy dishs. My wife loves the ma la beans. Shopping center location is a little hard to navigate, very busy traffic.