“Huge Gelato Selection”

Mercurio's
Ranked #98 of 2,266 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Cuisines: Italian
Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

This is a fantastic place to come on a summer night for some delicious gelato. There is two cases filled with different flavors to choose from. I had the Banana, Amaretto and Chocolate and loved all of them. The gelato has very natural flavors and its not to sweet. Also you pay by weight so you can get a much or as little as you want. Wish I could come back to try all their flavors.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

I had just eaten an amazing Italian dinner around the corner from this place and was ready for a bit of a sweet bite! This place completely hit the spot! There had to be 50 types of gelato to choose from and I had caramel latte. It was sweet and creamy, while never going over the top in either category! Sometimes gelato can be icy, but not here!
I realized this place had a real pizza kitchen in it and would love to return and have some of it as well! Great family run operation!

Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

The salads are great and the pizzas are amazing! Staying in Pitt for three weeks and have already returned three times to this cute, friendly, restaurant. Terrific gelato. The restaurant is nestled in a fun shopping area.

Reviewed June 13, 2013

The restaurant atmosphere is nice. Our server was very friendly and helpful, can't say anything bad about that. I was disappointed in the pizza. we had the house special - my very favorite with Arugula and Prosciutto on top. The crust was so soggy on the bottom, uncooked and doughy. It was unfortunate because the toppings were fresh and delicious. I am not one to compare pizza to Dominio's- I am Italian with Italian born parents and have eaten pizza in Italy. I realize how it differs from what we as Americans call "pizza". Maybe this was just an off night. I would try it one more time in case it was just bad timing. The gelato looked awesome but I didn't eat any. Prices are great and the house wine prices were great, too.

1  Thank loribob67
Reviewed May 26, 2013

First of all I want to start off by explaining that I am heavily into authentic neapolitan pizza. I have my own wood fire pizza oven at my house and follow all of the DOP standards for pizza making. I originally found Mercurio's after I was wandering around looking for ice cream/gelato/frozen yogurt on a Friday night. I saw that they had a wood fire pizza oven and was intrigued. I started talking to the owner and found out that they pride themselves in being authentic neapolitan so I decided to come back the next day for lunch.

Mercurio's met and exceeded my expectations by far. I was a little skeptical when I saw that the pizza was being made by someone who looked to be about 16, but after walking over and chatting with him I saw that he had been rigorously trained. He explained that the owner was very careful about who he let make the pizzas and that they had to go through over 20 hours of training on how to prepare the pizzas properly. This really impressed me!

The staff were all lovely and I really enjoyed speaking with the person who was making the pizzas. We chatted for about 15 minutes as he was making pizzas and I could tell that he really loved his job. Everyone else was cheerful and prompt.

I had my favorite pizza of all time, the buffalo mozzarella margarita, and it was delicious. Everything was cooked and presented perfectly. I then ended the meal with gelato. I was happy that they let me mix flavors together since most gelato places will not let you do this. They had a wide selection and I had a hard time choosing what to get! I don't know much about gelato, but it was definitely better than what you buy in the store and I could tell that it was homemade.

To the reviewers complaining that the prices are too high: sorry, but true authentic ingredients cost a lot of money. I know this first hand because I buy all of the same ingredients for my own pizza. Each pizza costs me roughly $10 to make, so considering their most expensive pizza was $17, a markup like this is pretty low. And on top of that, the $17 pizza was the one with buffalo mozzarella. Considering it's $30/pound, I don't find this upsetting at all...if you don't like the cost, go to a regular pizza place where you'll get pizza that is NO where as good as Mercurio's.