“Nice place, I just ordered the wrong stuff.”
Review of Avenue B

Avenue B
Reserve with OpenTable
Avenue B is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #104 of 2,196 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed October 20, 2013

I was excited to finally try Avenue B since I'd heard a lot of good things, but just never seemed to have the occasion to go. BYOB makes it a bit more affordable, however, food was still pretty pricey. Our table started with a charcuterie plate, which I would have expected to be meats, cheeses and bread. There was no cheese. And the "meats" were small blobs of head cheese-type stuff and animal fat. I thought it was just all very slimy and unappetizing. But maybe I'm just not sophisticated enough for that sort of thing. For my entree, I had a vegetarian acorn squash stuffed with vegetables and a brie cheese sauce. The sauce was very decadent and definitely made the meal. The rest was somewhat bland, although the serving size was quite large. Dessert was fantastic. We had a cookie bar dish, which was rich and tasty. The food my friends ordered looked very good. I just don't think I picked the best choices. But I'd definitely try it again.

1  Thank RickInPittsburgh

Reviewed September 5, 2013

This was the first time my boyfriend and I ate at Avenue B. It has a nice atmosphere. It is a great place to meet friends. Dinner was amazing and the dessert was tastly. I would go back.

Reviewed August 23, 2013

We had an excellent dinner at Avenue B. Our server was knowledgable, helpful and efficient. The decor is very nice although it was a little loud when the room was full. We had the the potatoes gnocchi as an appetizer and they were light and delicious with chanterelles and leeks. My husband thoroughly enjoyed the red curry crab stuffed flounder and I the roasted Brie and eggplant stuffed squash with farro risotto and creamed spinach. Desserts were unusual and excellent as well. I would definitely recommend this restaurant. We will certainly go there again as the menu changes with seasonal and chalkboard choices for wonderful dining options.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

We live in NYC and were in town for a wedding. We called to make a reservation but they were closed so we left a message. When someone finally called us back, we were told that they couldn't accommodate us for a 6:30 reservation. We didn't receive the message in advance of when we wanted to dine, so we called again. This time we were told that there was availability at 5:00, 5:30 or 6:00. The service was very good and the food was decent; however, the prices were fine-dining prices for average food. However, the fact that we were told there was no availability for us when there were only three other tables seated when we arrived totally turned us off. We wouldn't return or recommend to anyone. In NYC, you can bring your children to any restaurant as long as you bring them at an early hour. We wouldn't want to spend our money at an establishment that doesn't welcome our child.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

My parents joined me for a meal at Avenue B, and we were so impressed! The menu was very fresh and creative - I wish I could have tried more items! Thankfully, I did get to sample a lot. We started with the Ahi Tuna lettuce wraps, the fried green tomatoes, and the mussels. The fried green tomatoes were perfectly crispy, and the broth the mussels came in was delicious. For my meal, I had the wagyu beef flank steak, which was very flavorful. The potato salad that came with it was amazing, with crispy leeks on top. A real standout in terms of side dishes was the honey sesame brussel sprouts.

Everyone at the restaurant was so friendly, too! When we said how much we liked the brussel sprouts, we were told exactly how they were made, and even how we could recreate them on our own! Our server (I believe his name was Jason) was great, and he steered us in the awesome direction of getting the almond nougat with cherries for dessert. The only nougat I'd ever had before was in the inside of a 3 Musketeers bar, and this was nothing like that (thank goodness). It was perfectly cold and had just the right amount of sweetness. Plus, they served us delicious coffee in a French press. Only potential downsides are the noise level (which I didn't really mind, but my father had a tough time hearing) and the somewhat warm temperature (which I'm sure wasn't aided by the fact that I got coffee with dessert, haha... coffee was worth it). For what really mattered though (amazing food, fantastic service), the restaurant hit a home run. Really excellent meal - one of the best I've had in Pittsburgh. I'm already plotting my return!

1  Thank ae524