“Excellent place for dinner” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Avenue B

Avenue B
Reserve with OpenTable
Avenue B is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #120 of 2,141 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
fort worth, texas
“Excellent place for dinner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

This place is BYOB currently - Ive only been there once but I plan on going back with a bottle of wine. I had the hanger steak the first time and it was excellent! Would definitely recommend!

• Visited December 2012

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Creativity Reigns: Avenue B is All about Flavors”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

There may be restaurants in Pittsburgh where the presentation is more artistic (although Avenue B's presentation is perfectly respectable) and the food more sophisticated; but in my experience (and my wife and I consider ourselves foodies and have visited most of the better restaurants in Pittsburgh) it would be difficult to find a restaurant in Pittsburgh where the chef is more creative in combining flavors to produce interesting, unusual, and, above all, consistently delicious tastes. On our most recent visit, I started with the country pork pate. Now I like pate in general; but the combination of the country pork pate, the chicken liver mousse (perfect), pickled onion, whole grain mustard and crusty bread created a melange of flavor that takes pate to a whole new level. My wife had the tuna cubed and reported (I am not a big sushi fan) that it was fantastic. For entrees, my wife had the kobe meatloaf (a specialty of the restaurant that I have had and loved before) and, as always, the blend of flavors created by serving the meatloaf with goat cheese & chive whipped potatoes, crispy onions, and tomato jam makes it truly something special. I had the hanger steak (served with roasted mushroom Mac 'n cheese, arugula, and crispy squash). The steak was practically as tender and certainly as flavorful as short ribs and the arugula, as arugula does (if you have ever had straccetti served with arugula you will know what I am talking about), soaked up the flavors of the meat and everything else on the plate to create a complex and wonderful combination. Everything at Avenue B just tastes so good. And, if this isn't reason enough to visit, Avenue B is BYO with a reasonable corkage fee and warm, attentive (but not hovering) service!

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Iverwozzle
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Noise Levels Ruined our special dinner”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2012

After reading all glowing reviews on Trip Advisor, I made a dinner reservation to celebrate a special occasion, my wife's birthday. Unfortunately, the experience was a total disaster due to the unbearable noise levels. Let me say that the food was very tasty and the service was fairly good, What made the dining experience painful was the unbearable noise levels due to 3 reasons: 1) The restaurant is small and too many tables are placed too close together so as to maximize the number of patrons but at the price of shared conversations with all of your neighbors.2) There is absolutely no acoustic buffering. The walls are bare without any cloth or noise-absorbent coverings, there are no curtains or drapes or anything that could cut down the noise levels. 3) Finally, we had the bad luck on this night to be in the restaurant with a party of 15 people, one man and 14 women celebrating some occasion. The intermittent bursts of loud laughter, and high-pitched screams and shrieks made the entire restaurant reverberate to this painful noise pollution. No effort was made by management to ask this group to be respectful of the other diners. Taken together, these are the three reasons for the very high noise levels.

In summary, this restaurant should not be the #1 recommendation for a fancy restaurant in Pgh. We paid over eighty dollars for 2 in a BYOB restaurant and fled before dessert because we were suffering from bad headaches induced by the excessive noise levels. Had I read anything on Trip Advisor about excessive noise levels, I would never have gone there. Needless to say we will not be returning to this restaurant despite the good food and the fairly good service. We offer a warning about noise levels that may ruin your dining experience. I wished that someone would have warned us before we decide to eat there.

• Visited December 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Jerold G
“Pierogi's n@”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

Who would think split pea pierogi could be that delicious , the accompanying slaw great too.
Good service. A l I title on the pricey side but worth it.

• Visited June 2012
Hamburg, Germany
“A real diamond in the rough!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

Very cool, very well designed. The service was spot on and all done with a smile. The decor was trendy and warm. The food was top notch, I had the Rissoto and Scallop for starter and the Kobe meat loaf for main, so well made and presented.'
I am looking forward to going again.
P.S. it's BYOB.