“A real diamond in the rough!”
Review of Avenue B

Avenue B
Reserve with OpenTable
Avenue B is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #114 of 2,178 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Hamburg, Germany
“A real diamond in the rough!”
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Very cool, very well designed. The service was spot on and all done with a smile. The decor was trendy and warm. The food was top notch, I had the Rissoto and Scallop for starter and the Kobe meat loaf for main, so well made and presented.'
I am looking forward to going again.
P.S. it's BYOB.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank Moshe L

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Excellent experience awaits!”
Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I tried this place after reading so many good reviews, they are so true! We made a reservation for 9 pm, the place was full and they seated several more after us. It's a small space but very cozy. It's BYOB which we love, only $5 for corkage. The waitress was so friendly and helpful. We shared mussels which were excellent! My husband had the braised short rib on the recommendation of the waitress, it was one of the best meals ever- so tender and delicious! I had the escolar, excellent as well. A side of brussel sprouts completed our dinner. I would highly recommend this place, it's a rare find in a city like Pittsburgh! I wish we had more like it.....

1 Thank loribob67
“Mostly great”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Overall we really enjoyed the food, atmosphere and service. Service was accomodating and friendly without being intrusive. We came in fairly late for a weekday but they never rushed us. We started with appetizers of arancini (fried rissotto balls) with sauce and they were outstanding. As was the flatbread - something with arugula. Dinner entrees were decent but not as good as the appetizers. We tried the signature meatloaf which was good, but I've had better. The pork chop was also good. We tried a fish special and it was pretty bad. A sticky sweet sauce on seared cobia that didn't quite work on it the way seared ahi does when seared on the outside and raw on the inside. It was more raw textured than is ahi tuna or sushi. Side dishes of cauliflower au gratin and sauteed brussel sprouts were rich and decandent as were the desserts. So my advice is to be careful about the entrees but all else seems to be spot on.

1 Thank sunshine490
Connecticut
“A Find in Pittsburgh!”
Reviewed October 10, 2012

Our son is a freshman at Carnegie Mellon and suggested Avenue B for our first weekend visit, having heard it recommended. So Avenue B was a wonderful culinary welcome to Pittsburgh! The starter of Bourbon glazed pork belly & avocado lettuce wraps is heavenly, no doubt due to a high fat content, but it's well worth the splurge. For a main, I had the Kobe meatloaf, goat cheese & chive whipped potatoes, crispy onions, tomato jam, one of the restaurant's signature dishes. Another winner!
The clientele looked sophisticated, and we imagined that a lot of professors from the city's universities eat here. We will be back!

2 Thank MadameCoco
york, pa
“Super little BYOB restaurant”
Reviewed October 5, 2012

My husband and I really enjoy BYOB restaurants. We know we'll have wine we enjoy, so we seek them out. Avenue B is a bit out of the way of downtown, but it is well worth the trip. It's got a small permanent menu but a very large menu that changes daily. My husband chose items off the permanent menu - the green salad and the kobe meatloaf. He was very happy with both. I chose a chevre and beet appetizer and a short rib/pasta dish with smoked gouda. The chevre could have used a few more beets to balance it out, but the taste was divine. And I can't say enough about the short ribs. A very meaty dish, with a smoky flavor. Just perfect!
Our server was excellent. Very familiar with all the items and able to help you chose,
This is a small restaurant, so I really recommend calling for reservations. We were there on a Thursday night and it was full the entire time we were there.

2 Thank yellowlabmom