“Birthday Dinner for Vegan sister!!!”
Review of Root 174 - CLOSED

Root 174
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Folly Beach, South Carolina
“Birthday Dinner for Vegan sister!!!”
Reviewed February 28, 2014

I travelled from Butler to celebrate my sister's(vegan) birthday...Creative and unique menu!!! I am a surf and turf guy at heart with an open mind and pallet.

I enjoyed the Vegan Meatballs!!!

Great food...no matter what you fancy!!!

• Visited March 2013

Pittsburgh, PA
“Creative, fresh, local, tasty”
Reviewed December 26, 2013

'Root' is our top neighborhood restaurant - one of my favorites in Pittsburgh. Sometimes it can be hard to get a table. Yes, the brussel sprouts are the best. Our service has always been impeccable, the waiters are really knowledgeable about the food and drinks, the food is consistently delicious. It used to be strictly BYOB but now has a limited bar and wine selection.

• Visited October 2013
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Birthday dinner”
Reviewed November 26, 2013

My wife and I visited recently for her birthday. We enjoyed appetizers and entrees, including vegan options for my wife. Most menu items are creative and unlike what you would find elsewhere. Wine selection is limited, but enjoyable.

Visited November 2013
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Great food, but...”
Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

The food at Root was superb. Very unique and adventurous menu items. The Brussel sprout app was my fav. I could have eaten an entire bowl of them. The service however, was less than desirable, which was disappointing given that the restaurant wasn't very busy. We had to ask twice for a water refill and the waiter forgot to bring my husband's second glass of wine until he was almost finished with his dinner. And these were only a couple of the several things lacking with the service. We will probably not return, even though the food was really good.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Toby11
McMurray, Pennsylvania
“Try the Sunday Supper!”
Reviewed October 21, 2013

A group of six of us enjoyed the Sunday Supper at Root 174 last evening. For a flat $35 fee, each we were served a chicken liver mousse with fresh bread, mussels in a spicy tomato chipotle broth (that was sopped up with more bread!), a frisee salad with pickled vegetables, polenta w/chives and an incredible moroccan-spiced chicken breast, pasta shells with sun dried tomatoes (and sausage?), and small bites of flourless chocolate cake. The meal was delicious and the server was prompt and knowledgeable about each dish. This dinner is BYOB with no corkage, so we had brought our favorite wines to enjoy.

If you are not sure about trying Root 174 for their regular dinners, I think this would be a good chance to sample their food and atmosphere. We enjoyed our evening and will most likely return for a meal in the future.

• Visited October 2013