“Amazing food in a little neighborhood outside the city”
Review of Root 174 - CLOSED

Root 174
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Amazing food in a little neighborhood outside the city”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

My friend and I had a great meal @ Root 174. I had the Vegan Falafel with the Quinoa Tabouleh as a starter it was delicious!!!! My friend had the Bone Marrow Crème Brulee and the Brussels Sprouts and raved about them all the way home!! I had the vegan meatloaf and my friend had the Crispy Headcheese both were amazing. Our cocktails were great and so was our desert!!! All in all a great night!!!!

• Visited February 2013

Northeast
“This place is fabulous! 5 Star Dining at 3 Star Prices!”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

My wife and I traveled here this past week to have dinner with my sister and her husband. Wow was I ever blown away. Food was fantastic! All I have to say abou the aps is GET THE BRUSSEL SPROUTS! I promise you have never had brussel sprouts this good! No one in our party had anything bad, everything was really good and prepared nicely. Our service was excellent and the atmosphere in the restaurant is really nice and modern. I would call it upscale casual, jeans and a button down are fine, you will not be out of place. Prices were very reasonable for fine dining, our bill for 4 including drinks, apps, and dessert was under $200.

Probably best to make reservations as seating is limited.

All good things! Hope you enjoy it as well.

• Visited December 2012
Johnstown
“okay, but not great.”
Reviewed November 24, 2012 via mobile

The atmosphere is not very appealing. Very bright and no music. The menu was different and interesting, but I did not care for my choice. My 2 guests did like their choices.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“A pleasant little spot”
Reviewed October 9, 2012

This was our second visit to Root 174 and once again we were pleased. The menu tends to be a bit eclectic, but everything is interesting and beautifully presented. Seating is not the world's most comfortable, and it can get noisy. I do drink Coke or Pepsi (diet) with my meals, but that is not an option at Root 174. I frankly don't understand why a chef has to decide that we won't serve the normal drink they want, but rather I will find something more off-the-wall and not give them a choice. I ended up with a root beer -- not something I would normally drink with dinner.

• Visited September 2012
Eugene, Oregon
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Delicious Meal”
Reviewed August 31, 2012

Business friends of mine brought me here for brunch while I was in town. Try the breakfast spring rolls and huevos rancheros. Such a great meal! I would like to try for dinner next time I am in town

Visited August 2012