“Great vibe, fun crowd - and margaritas are out of this world!!”

Verde Mexican Kitchen and Cantina
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Fairmount
Transit: Save the parking hassle and take the bus! Consult the Port Authority website for details on the 88 (up/down Penn Ave), 87 (from downtown), 77 (from Monroeville), and more.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Great vibe, fun crowd - and margaritas are out of this world!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2013

I've been to Verde twice and have had a great experience both times. Verde is very nicely decorated. They have a wonderful outdoor patio with umbrellas and lights over the table. The restaurant has two garage door like windows which open up in the summer. The first time I came here I sat at the bar and had dinner. The bartenders were great - they made wonderful suggestions, amazing margaritas and were fun to hang out with. This past visit I sat at a table with friends. The service was not as good considering it wasn't that busy. The waitress was nice enough, we just had to flag her down a couple of times for drink refills etc. The food is excellent and fresh. I had the fish tacos both times and it was delicious. My friends all enjoyed their meal too. The Casa Verde Margarita is amazing. There is no sugary mix in this baby! The drink or pitcher initially appears 'small' - especially if you are used to the Mad Mex type 32 oz margs that are mostly sugary margarita mix. This drink is all tequila and lime juice and is wonderful. And it's a good thing it's not 32 oz because it's a strong drink! If you are a tequila aficionado, there is an entire wall of tequila to choose from including very high end tequilas. The bartenders are very knowledgable about the different tequilas. The reason I didn't give Verde 5 stars is sort of picky - I really didn't like the chips and salsa which I think are an important staple for an American Mexican restaurant. The chips seemed like they came out of a bag - which is disappointing since everything else at Verde is clearly fresh made, including the fabulous guacamole. The salsa was a green mole sauce which to me was too sweet with the chips. If I could have given Verde 4.5 stars I would have. If you are looking for good food, a fun atmosphere and fantastic drinks - all at a reasonable price, you should try Verde.

• Visited May 2013

Pittsburgh
“Cool atmosphere...lackluster in taste.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

My hubby and I were super excited to check out Verde as we had heard great things about it. In general, here were our thoughts:

PROS:
- Great service. Our server was VERY knowledgeable, nice & at least made us think he really enjoyed working there and was proud of the food they served. He was a gem.
- Complimentary basket of chips and salsa; you would think this should be a no brainer, but not all Mexican restaurants in Pittsburgh have gotten a clue so it was nice that Verde has.
- Very gluten friendly; the server was able to answer my gf questions and didn't make me feel like I was a hassle- also, the GF menu options are clearly noted on the menu.
- There was variety on the menu but not too many options, which is nice when it can already be a hard decision on what to order.

CONS:
- The rice and beans were pretty gross. Especially the rice. I didn't really know you could mess up rice that terribly but they did.
- The queso fundido was SUPER greasy/oily and made my belly hurt- I wish we would have went with the guacamole.
- In general the food just didn't taste all that great- I ordered the steak/potato tacos and they were decent but neither mine nor my husbands food was anything to write home about.

There were some really great things about this place, unfortunately the food just wasn't one of them. We would definitely go back at least one more time to give it another shot but we were a bit disappointed.

• Visited May 2013
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
“Ok, so I usually just drink here...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2013

But the margarita's are worth writing about. As are the chips and guac. I've never actually ordered food, but based on what I've seen go past, their kitchen appears to be crazy-good (though there appear to be few, if any, veggie/vegan options). The service has always been exceptional and that, along with the sleek, clean atmosphere, has made Verde one of my go-to happy hour spots to bring friends from out of town.

• Visited November 2012
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Presentation: Exquisite, Flavor: Lacking”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

Verde is tastefully decorated and it's a very nice space to be in. The service at the bar was great and the bartenders were very friendly. The table service was not quite as good. In our waiter's defense, he was very busy, but he seemed quite impatient at times.

Now for the food. There weren't very many selections on the menu but that's not necessarily a bad thing. In fact it should mean that they're really good at the dishes they DO make. The food took a long, long time to come out (but again, it was a very busy night). The presentation of the food was absolutely beautiful. It looked like something in a magazine. I was expecting it to taste as good as it looked. I was disappointed. It just seemed to be lacking in flavor. The extra hot salsa they served on the side helped a bit but then all I could taste was salsa. I usually can't stop eating the chips at Mexican restaurants but I quit after 3 chips. Again, just not much flavor. If they do make them in-house (which I doubt) they need a new recipe.

The prices? Guacamole as an appetizer: eight dollars. Two fish tacos with a side of beans and rice: sixteen dollars. A green salad: eight dollars. But if you want to add chicken or steak to your salad it's an extra eight to ten dollars! You be the judge, but to me that seems high-priced for Mexican food. The drinks were equally expensive.

I had been wanting to eat here for about a year and I went in really wanting to like the place. I seriously doubt if I'll go back.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Kilgore
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Great food and atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

I came to Verde with my husband for his birthday. The food was amazing! He had tacos with plantains in them and I had pork tamales. Our waiter was awesome! The bill for the meal was decent as well. Overall, we plan on going back.

• Visited February 2013