“a "modern" Mexican find”

Verde Mexican Kitchen and Cantina
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Fairmount
Transit: Save the parking hassle and take the bus! Consult the Port Authority website for details on the 88 (up/down Penn Ave), 87 (from downtown), 77 (from Monroeville), and more.
Reviewed November 9, 2012

Excellent updating of Mexican (not the usual Tex-Mex) dishes.
Very good flavors & textures
Highly recommended!

Reviewed October 24, 2012

The scene in this restaurant is great; nice seating area, with outdoor patio, cool bar. The food is so so, however, sometimes good, sometimes bad. The tamales were undercooked, the corn tortillas are bad, but the ceviche was great. I hope they get better, it has a lot of potential. One thing, the tequila prices are a bit ridiculous.

Reviewed October 24, 2012

I dragged my husband here on a weeknight just to try something new. What a mistake. The chips were store bought, my chicken enchiladas were soggy and oddly flavored and my elotes -- the corn on the cob appetizer -- had clearly been taken out of the freezer, thawed in the microwave (because there were still cold spots on it) and served. Really awful. A chain restaurant like Don Pablos or Patron would have been better -- at least the food would have been hot.

1  Thank rosemgab
Reviewed August 13, 2012

We had so much fun on the patio at Verde Cantina. It was relaxing with good food, service, and cold beer. It is right across from Pittsburgh Glass Studio and was very convenient for my friends and I. I think we were there for five days straight for dinner, and the waiters and waitresses took great care of us.

Reviewed July 22, 2012

Three family visits in the last month, all for Sunday brunch. The red Sangria packs a wallop. It's the Curacao--plus it's made with malbec and the grenadine is pomegranate-based so there's a really cool, tart kick to it. They said the pitcher has been downsized from 5 to 3 glasses but our $23 pitcher easily could have served 5-6. Three teens gave six thumbs up for the fresh-squeezed OJ.

Spectacular guac 'n chips--get a large for the table. Sandwiches and Huevos Benedictos are scrumptious. Teen kids did not so much like the biscuits and gravy but everything else we've had was delicious.

Beautiful interior, wonderful music with lots of cool covers and soulful songs: terrific conversation fodder with our three teens.

Would ask care from servers: because one person took orders but two others brought them out, no one saw that I was missing my entree. I thought it was just delayed . . . but by the time the first server realized the oversight, others were finished and I was overstuffed on that truly amazing guac. They comped us the guac--appreciated that! And truly I was full.

Outdoor seating available curbside and on a side patio with some shade, right across from the glass center on Penn. Lovely design/angles/interior, lots of glass. Will definitely be back and will bring others. This is a well-thought-out venture--definitely try out the Sunday brunch!