“An unexpected delight”

23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“An unexpected delight”
Reviewed May 29, 2011

We went on May 17 and were very pleasantly surprised. Tickets are a little steep at $22/adult but we were there over 4 hours so I think it was a good deal. Started with the mansion tour (we did call ahead for reservations) which took about an hour or so. Unlike other houses we have toured, you actually were able to walk through the rooms and not stand behind cords. We also saw the kitchen and bathrooms which also are often not available for view in other houses. We then ate lunch at the cafe which far exceeded expectations. Very good food - fresh, presented beautifully with flair. I had the salad with hot crab wontons and pears which was excellent. The desserts are also prepared by a pastry chef onsite- outstanding carrot cake. Very gourmet - not like a typical touristy place at all. Well-dressed locals were there for Sunday Brunch. The cafe is small- I would also make a reservation in advance- we got in only because someone with a reservation ddn't show up. We then went to the auto/coach musuem. An unusually beautiful building to display cars in- and they were impressive. Almost all were restored to their former splendor. The man at the door offered his guide services and we were very glad to take him up on his offer as he made everything so much more interesting. They also had some good short movies to watch. I am not a big car person but I loved it - we spent about an hour. The art gallery next- also a nice bulding. Not a huge collection but some interesting classical art. We got through that pretty quickly. The grounds were beautiful- very park like- gardens were lovely to walk around. I am sure they have beautful weddings there. Overall, a very good value and a nice drive from our hotel by PNC Park. Parking was onsite and very clean and safe in a ritzy neighborhood. As a side note, we also loved Monterey Fish Grotto and the Church Brewery. Not to be missed. Pittsburgh was an unexpected gem of a city in May with sunny skies.

Visited May 2011
2 Thank KonaTheCat

NJ
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“good 4 those who like 2 tour millionaires' houses”
Reviewed July 18, 2010

Don't bring the kids!

Went with 18 yr old dau on a hot day--we liked the experience very much. it is better to walk around in the gardens, go inside the playhouse/gift shop, peek at the cars first, to help set you up for the inside of the house. The docent we had kept trying to convince us the Fricks were just plain folks, because their house was not as ornate as the "cottages" in Newport. Compared to what the average Pittsburghian wd have been living in (courtesy of the wages paid him by Mr Frick) at the time, it looked pretty fancy to me.

My gratitude to Ms Helen Frick for having insisted that there be no ropes and visitors would get much more of a feel for the house. Also thanks to her for the very fine small museum behind the house. And to its trustees for mounting traveling exhibits; we got to see one showing landscapes, from the Newark museum.

1 Thank Timmycat
Rochester, NY
49 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 95 helpful votes
“A wonderful gem of Victorian History”
Reviewed April 23, 2009

Spent the morning getting a tour of Clayton in April 2009 and thoroughly enjoyed it. The docent who led the tour was very informative and we learned some incredible facts about the owner, Frick, and the area. I was amazed to see how many pieces in the house were original. Definitely one of the best restoration jobs I have ever seen. Don't bring your kids as they will be bored.

2 Thank tanders
Toledo, Ohio
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 114 helpful votes
“Go when there are guided tours”
Reviewed November 26, 2007

We paid the $12 admission to go through the Clayton this weekend. I thought Clayton was beautiful (yes, a little overdone, but the restoration to the 1891 appearance is awesome to see). However, I was somewhat disappointed that they weren't doing guided tours when we were there because it was the holiday weekend. It was an open house, and I felt that maybe we missed out on some of the information by just walking through the house; yes there were docents if you had questions, but how do you know what to ask? I would definitely recommend a visit either way, but if I had the choice I would do a guided tour!

1 Thank Visa711
Pittsburgh PA
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“Fairly interesting place”
Reviewed February 17, 2007

Have toured Clayton several times-- we live in Pittsburgh and often have out-of-town visitors. The quality of the tour depends *hugely*-- more than it should-- on the docent: some docents really make the history of the place and the period come alive (assassination attempts, fatal labor struggles, love and death, etc.), while others make Clayton seem like just a nice old house. It's certainly worth a visit--but it's too bad the docents are so uneven.

5 Thank Godmother12