“I Loved It... Once...”

Cuisines: Asian
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“I Loved It... Once...”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

I reviewed this restaurant earlier in the year. Unbeknownst to me since my last visit, they went and changed EVERYTHING. I was SO disappointed hoping to eat some Vietnamese pho soup and finding out they no longer serve Vietnamese cuisine like they used to...

Apparently, to satisfy the lunch cravings of the of businesses in the area, they completely switched their ENTIRE menu to feature what one would normally find at your local Chinese takeout/sushi restaurant. (The menu on the Saigon 88 website is OLD... Don't get your hopes up.) A sensible business move, I suppose, but it REALLY put a damper on my plans when I was hoping to eat something besides the same, old, BORING Chinese. Also, they got rid of their sushi deals and their happy hour drink specials which totally blows. I mourn the loss of their delicious, MASSIVE, $7 pitcher-sized glass of sangria...

Don't get me wrong, the staff was pleasant as always and the food was hot and tasty, but I''m really disappointed in this owner's decision to transform Saigon 88 into just another run-of-the-mill Chinese restaurant. Though the place is great, I likely won't visit this restaurant again just to eat what I could get everywhere else.

If you're looking to satisfy your hankering for Vietnamese, you'll have to drive down the road to Pho Kim 88.

I'm just... so disappointed. You broke my heart, Saigon 88.

• Visited March 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Good Stuff”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

From the creators of Pho Kim 88 comes... SAIGON 88!

One can find basically the same menu and service here, just a bigger restaurant with a few more food options. I highly recommend their sushi (they offer a variety of unique rolls at reasonable prices - YUM!), and everything else I've had at Pho Kim 88/Saigon 88 has been great, too.

Do yourself a favor: LEAVE the sushi place at South Hills Village mall and go to the less-crowded, equally-tasty Saigon 88.

• Visited January 2013
“Very please......”
Reviewed April 29, 2012 via mobile

our families and friends have been here so many times already. everything is fairly excellent. The food and services are always great. The owner and staffs are very friendly and down to earth especially they are speaking english very well and very professionals of their businesses. The services is very professionals. There is no place in pittsburgh like saigon88/phokim88 restaurants that services most popular tastes of asia under one house. If you an adventurous or looking to try domething different.......then come.....explores this bistro.

“I'm loving it. Everything is excellent.”
Reviewed January 14, 2012

This place is wonderful and the food and service is great. Very please with everything because everything is under one house.

Sarasota, Florida
“If you enjoy Asian fusion then this is your place”
Reviewed December 3, 2011

We went to this restaurant as a party of six while we were visiting family in Pittsburgh. The menu is extensive. All told we ordered a Tom Yum Seafood Hot Pot that was large enough for two but was devoured by one. It was full of fish. We also tried the Hibachi Salmon which I enjoyed, the Hibachi Spicy Chicken (it is spicy), an order of the tuna lovers roll (huge serving), and two orders of Saigon88 Steak Bo-Le-Lac. Two of our party had the avocado smoothies (I took a pass on tasting these) and the rest of us settled for Saigon beer in bottles which went well with the food. For those of us over fifty, we took home leftovers. There is a full bar there if you like cocktails. The total came to $150.00 which I thought a bit pricy but everyone enjoyed their food and that is what counts. Service was Ok but not as attentive as it could have been. This is a fairly good sized restaurant with good spacing between table so your elbow is not meeting with another diner's chair. The crowd was mixed with 20 somethings, young parents with children, and a few of us looking ahead to becoming members of AARP. Parking in front of the place is limited so you will likely find your self parking across the street. All in all, it was a nice evening out. I would suggest reservations.

• Visited November 2011