“Okay, but not worth a special trip”

Anthony's Coal Fired Pizza
Ranked #147 of 2,172 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Cuisines: Pizza
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Okay, but not worth a special trip”
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Anthony's offers "coal" fired pizza. The pies are good but not exceptional for the price. The wings are good, but again, not worth the price.

There's a full service bar with various draft beer. But if you want iced tea, it comes out of a bottle. How hard is it to actually brew iced tea?

Just 1 or 2 in your party and want a salad? The only size salad on the menu works nicely for four but it a meal in itself for fewer people. Their goal of having a simple menu isn't necessarily a good idea.

Décor great. The staff --- I counted 15 between the cooks and wait staff -- were friendly, fast and efficient.

If I were in the neighborhood, maybe I'd stop in again, but definitely not worth a special trip.

• Visited August 2013

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Not your ordinary pizza - excellent service”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We were looking for "someplace different" to eat on a Saturday afternoon and my husband had heard of this place and we decided to try it. We were not disappointed! The coal-fired ovens gives the pizza a totally different taste than your normal pizza. Yes, the crust looks blackened - signs abound in the place that their pizza is "well done". When we ordered, we were having trouble deciding between the philly cheesesteak pizza, which is has no tomato sauce and the meatball/sausage/peppers/ricotta, which has tomato. The waitress suggested "why not have half of each"? As there is nothing on the menu to say they will do this, we were surprised they would. The pizza came out very quickly and was not only "well done" but also done well! We loved both and still cannot decide which we liked better! Both were very tasty. We were checked back with by the servers frequently if we needed anything. Having the bottled soft drinks was different, but when they were able to provide Coke Zero, which almost NO restaurants carry, that won us over! This is not cheap pizza, but when you want something different, this is a good place to go. I know we will be back!

• Visited August 2013
Altoona, Pennsylvania
“Black as coal...as intended”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

A very different preparation than I've seen before, but that's why we came. Rather expensive, and looked burned (the crust was blackened) but actually tasty. Think blackened catfish. The tea was simply Gold Peak bottles, and the salad was only so-so.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Walking_owl
The Villages, Florida
“Fast and Delicious”
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Lunch time on Friday. The venue is bustling. I am quickly seated. The hostess asks if it is my first time. I answer honestly, “yes”, despite the fact I savored Anthony’s Pizza at the Monroeville location some time ago. I had never been to this Anthony’s.

Ryan B., a most attentive waiter, quickly appears, offers a free sample of wings and takes my order. The wings are tasty topped with caramelized onions. The wings have a pleasant char-flavor. The personal lunch pizza appears within minutes. Just like the pizza at the Monroeville location, it is delicious. A thin crisp crust with a tangy dark char on the edges. The fresh tomato flavor of the sauce provides a bright pallet for the toppings to enhance the overall flavor. Water is replenished by any staff member passing by. Several employees inquire about my meal. There appears a devoted cheerful team effort here intended to please guests.

The check is dropped soon after the pizza arrives. Ryan notes my surprise. “There’s no rush,” he reassures, “but it’s lunch time and many folks want to leave quickly.”

A pizza restaurant often requires twenty minutes or more for preparation; not a wise place to spend a short lunch time on a work day. This problem is not a factor here. Anthony’s is ideal. The food far exceeds fast food franchise fare, yet just as rapidly delivered.

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank johnfjohnston
Virginia
“Too expensive, not good pizza”
Reviewed June 26, 2013

I had heard good things about this restaurant and was very disappointed with the pizza. I didn't mind the thin, crisp crust, but the sauce and toppings were sparse. I ordered a small pizza with pepperoni and olives and the toppings weren't plentiful enough to taste them in every bite. The sauce was tasty, but there wasn't enough of it. And, a 12-inch pizza with two toppings was $18, and definitely not worth it. I will not be returning.

Visited June 2013