“Fun, family style restaurant”

Anthony's Coal Fired Pizza
Ranked #147 of 2,172 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Cuisines: Pizza
“Fun, family style restaurant”
Reviewed July 13, 2012

We went to Anthony's last night. The atmosphere was fun and vibrant although it can be a bit loud. We were waited on very attentively but our waitress and the other staff.
We ordered meatballs, chicken wings, ribs and a pizza. The portions are very generous and are served family style. The meatballs were pretty good although the texture was a bit fine for my taste; I prefer a courser ground for the beef. The sauce was really good. I also really liked the wings which were cooked in olive oil and rosemary with caramelized onions. The ribs, on the other hand, were a bit dry. The pizza was excellent. It is coal-fired and the the hand tossed crust is just thin enough.
Overall we enjoyed Anthony's and will definitely go back.

Wheeling, WV
“Great Find - Great Pizza”
Reviewed June 24, 2012

Saw good review for this place on Trip Advisor and thought we'd try it. Wow! Glad we did. All staff was courteous. Host, when seating us said he hoped we enjoyed our meal. Waitress was very friendly as well. The person who brought out our pizza said he would like to have the pleasure of serving us four our first piece of pizza and proceeded to serve us. The pizza itself was really very good. We got a large with pepperoni and proscuitto. It was cut into 8 slices and the slices were big and the crust was thin and crunchy. As far as the comment made about the pizza being burnt, there are at least 2 signs on seperate walls that said clearly-something like "Caution, our pizza is well-done," so you would expect it to be crunchy. We were well pleased with this place and will definitely go back and would recommend.

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank WVTravelers4
Pittsburgh
“more hype & novelty than great”
Reviewed June 17, 2012 via mobile

Always saw the crowds, planned special birthday lunch trip for my pizza loving husband. Got there around 12pm, able to sit on patio. Bummed pop was bottled. Pizza, yes, we'll done = some burnt. And GREASY! Was just OK. Nothing I'm going to be traveling the 30miles for in the future.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“It was OK”
Reviewed June 11, 2012

I was really excited about the opening of Anthony's Coal Fired Pizza at Settler's Ridge. My husband and I went around 2PM. The place is tiny. And it was completely packed. They put us at a table and we were constantly bumped into. The pizza was ok. It was baked til the crust was black, which we were told by the waitress that they do. That was ok by me, but my husband did not really like that too much. We won't be back. Juliano's, which is close to Settlers Ridge, has a delicious pizza and we will continue to eat there when we are craving pizza!!

• Visited November 2011
Pennsylvania
“Neat place, but....”
Reviewed June 1, 2012

...didn't quite live up to the hype surrounding it. We stopped in for a late dinner after the worst movie experience at nearby Cinemark on a Saturday night. It's a small place but is decorated very nicely and has a bit of a modern feel. We took the last open table, as it was very busy. We went for a split pizza, half was a specialty pizza with meatballs and ricotta and the other half was traditional pizza which ended up coming with accidental proscuitto on it (score! no complaints here). Not having tried coal-fired pizza until now, I was expecting something quite different from the norm. I didn't really see any difference between it and some other wood oven baked, thin crust pizza. My husband seemed to love his side, as he's a big meatball fan in general. It was good, but not quite knock your socks off good as I was expecting from all the reviews.

For drinks, he had a beer and I had their "fusion" martini, which had pineapple and coconut soaking in the pitcher. They were good, but very pricey as those two drinks alone were near $20. Overall, the atmosphere is nice and cozy, but the tab was pricey. I certainly wouldn't drive for miles to check it out, but since we are nearby I may give it another try sometime. Perhaps next time I'll try the wings instead.

• Visited May 2012