“Great meal before the Opera” 5 of 5 bubbles

Meat & Potatoes
Ranked #17 of 2,141 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Between 6th and 7th Street
Transit: Being a downtown Pittsburgh location, there are many options and we recommend going to the Port Authority website for schedules, rates and general information.
Description: Meat & Potatoes is a place with a warm, inviting pub atmosphere that serves sophisticated, yet unpretentious food. An extensive, and creative, cocktail, beer and wine list is an integral part of what we do at our wonderful establishment. Come visit a place where the locals dine!
Pittsburgh
“Great meal before the Opera”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

Went there this past weekend when we were searching for a meal before the Opera. Lucked into getting in when they had a cancellation. This meal was at 630pm and they were booked so plan The food was fantastic, we started with the cheese board (3 great cheeses, some pecans, a berry chutney and two huge slices of toasted artisan bread), we followed up by splitting a Caesar salad which was no problem with the waiter, and we each tried a different Pasta. Mine was type of ravioli stuffed with sweet potato and topped with I don't remember what but it was extremely good. (excuse my memory but I had already ingested the signature cocktail of the night, a glass of Rioja and their aged Manhattan) all very good I might add. The guy in the table next to me ordered a sandwich which was so big he had to cram it into his mouth ( I had to comment it looked so good). With the 3 drinks we had and the split salad and pasta, the bill was just under 100. Not bad for the quality of the food. The waiter was engaging, made sure he knew we had a show to get to, and made sure we were on schedule but enjoyed our meal. I really liked this place and I have been to dozens of places in the city. Try this one you will like it. My only semi-negative comment I can make is that the tables are a bit tight together but hey I'm the guy who likes to make a comment when I see the next guy stuffing his sandwich into his mouth.

• 3 of 5 bubbles

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best in Pittsburgh”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013

As far as I am concerned this is the best restaurant in downtown Pittsburgh, and possibly all of Pittsburgh. The food and service go hand in hand as excellent. The craft cocktails are to die for, and the guys making them know their stuff! If you don't see a drink on the menu you like the sound of you can tell them what type of alcohol you like and a custom cocktail will be made for you. Now for the food. Well what can I say, i'm kind of obsessed. From the fried pickles appetizers to the duck entree, you really can't go wrong. I honestly can say I have never had an entree there that I wasn't a fan of, but I highly recommend the duck! Desserts, well you just can't leave without having one, they typically come in old fashioned mason jars and if the vanilla bean cheesecake is ever on the menu, simply do not leave without trying it. Having lived in Boston most of my life, and knowing what good food is, this would give any restaurant there a run for its money.

Murrells Inlet, South Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Lucky to have eaten here.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013

Best meal of the trip. Here on business and the hotel concierge recommended it. Wasn't even sure if we could get a table but as we walked in we were lucky enough to have a cancellation. Service was excellent. Food was outstanding. Had a drink from the bar that was like nothing I've ever tasted before (in a good way). You may have to make a reservation but if you get the chance to go here it won't be a mistake.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Amazing brunch!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

Really a great place for a meaty brunch. Most dishes are $10-$15 and are quite filling and delicious. Dinner is good too but I think the best value to be had is at brunch.

• Visited September 2013
Charlottesville, Virginia
“If I learn that I am about to die, my last meal will be here”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

We visited friends who raved about this restaurant and their high praise was well founded. Service, they told us, was hit or miss, but the food was worth it. The short rib entree for brunch was cooked perfectly. It's richness was turned into sinful indulgence by the added richness of a wonderful potato hash and a quail egg perfectly poached on top. I am certainly glad that I opted to go with their grapefruit juice concoction (old fashioned?). With a hint thyme and a slight sweetness with simple syrup it was an amazing way to cut through my dish.

Simply put...amazing!