“Superb Duck!!”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Between 6th and 7th Street
Transit: Being a downtown Pittsburgh location, there are many options and we recommend going to the Port Authority website for schedules, rates and general information.
Description: Meat & Potatoes is a place with a warm, inviting pub atmosphere that serves sophisticated, yet unpretentious food. An extensive, and creative, cocktail, beer and wine list is an integral part of what we do at our wonderful establishment. Come visit a place where the locals dine!
Reviewed July 15, 2013

After going over the menu many many times I decided to order the duck. It was so worth it. It turned out to be one of the best pieces of duck ive ever had. The fried pickles and kobe corn dog were also well done. If you are a lover of exciting cocktails you will love this place. The bartender hand whipped egg whites in front of us to top off our drink. At first I thought how gross but it made the drink. If I go back I may eat at the bar. While we were waiting for our table we sat at the bar and the bartender gave us menus and asked us if we were ordering dinner. I was surprised by that since reservations I heard are hard to come by last minute. I would say if you wanted to go last minute you may be lucky and just find seats at the bar.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

Came here at first for lunch on Saturday, but apparently they close at 2 after brunch. Coming from NYC, found that a bit peculiar.

After the ball game, my friends and I came back for some food and brews, and we had what could be best described as a hit-or-miss experience. The place was a bit crowded, so we didn't mind the five minute wait. Two of the three young ladies at the reservation counter were perfectly fine, but the manager seemed like she could not be bothered and that we had inconvenienced her.

Got seated, and we had to wait a while to order our drinks and food. Everything was a bit on the slow side, and our waiter couldn't sync up our drinks with the meal, which shouldn't have been a hard thing. When our food finally arrived, he literally served three of us, and talked for two minutes with someone while he was holding my friend's meal. When we asked him for it, he said, "one second" and then continued to talk.

As for the food itself, my friends all loved their burgers but had to take them apart to consume them. My "three-pigs" sandwich was just overkill. Between the hard bread, the pork cutlet, the bacon and ham (all of which were of very high quality) it was really difficult to consume even after I cut it in half, and that was after I had them hold the egg and cheese part of the sandwich.
I'm sure it would have tasted lovely, but after a while of fumbling, I just gave up and picked at it.

During the course of the meal, server came back once, asked how it was and we didn't see him again. The check came, left a less-than-stellar tip (which I deemed appropriate) the waiter ran to the door and said that we shorted the check. I asked him how much it was, and he overstated it by 20 bucks. I told him to bring me the receipt, and, after finding that he was wrong, said everything was fine and that we could go with barely a cursory apology after accusing us of essentially being deadbeats.

If I lived in Pittsburgh, I wouldn't give this place a second chance.

2  Thank MKB1701
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I have been here twice and love it. I went there for brunch this past Saturday with a couple of friends and all our food was superb! I had the BPLT with fries and it was huge and wonderfully smoky and savory. The Bloody Mary Bar is a must try. Two words: BACON VODKA!!! This will continue to be a go to place for me when I see a show at the Benedum! Also make sure you order an Absinthe at the bar and watch them make it. They really put on a show!

Reviewed July 13, 2013

We had an excellent dinner at this popular downtown Pittsburgh restaurant. It was extremely busy on a Monday night, but the service was very attentive and friendly.

Of course one of us had the bone marrow appetizer, and so did several other tables in our vicinity. The large bones were visible everywhere. Is this Pittsburgh’s answer to the pork knuckles that are ubiquitous in Prague? The accompaniments were perfect, especially the grilled bread, gremolata, and onion relish. Our other starter was a special of the day, pork belly with mole and a chipotle aioli. The chunk of pork was sizable, including some fat that you could eat or ignore (I ate it), and the robust accompaniments were just right.

One of our main courses was the fish and chips, which in the context of the other selections seemed rather restrained, but it was good. Especially noteworthy were the pickled green tomatoes. The other main course was the pot roast, another great choice with a good variety of robust flavors.

We had a moderately successful martini and a very good glass of Truchard Syrah. We will certainly go back to Meat & Potatoes the next time we are in downtown Pittsburgh.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

After reviewing the menu online, my husband and I were looking forward to the food. When we arrived we noticed only two outside tables were open. When we spoke to the hostess she had an attitude like how dare us for not having a one. Even though there were several tables open both inside and out, we has to wait 45minutes, when they gave us a reservation for an outside table.

We walked around and came back only to find all the outdoor seats were still open and they sat us at one of them after the 45 minutes.

We started the meal with fried taters, which we thought was tater tots not French fries. The menu listed this as a snack yet the portion was huge. Our appetizers were the best part of the meal. My husband had a mushroom risotto, and I had the Mac and cheese. For our main course he had the half roasted chicken, and I had the duck. The veggies that came with the duck were super salty. I was disappointed as I was looking forward to my greens.

Overall we hated the way the host staff treated us. Coming from another major city, and eating at other popular restaurants we have never experienced this, and hope to never deal with it again.

1  Thank Astoria2709