“Great new restaurant in downtown”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Meat & Potatoes

Meat & Potatoes
Ranked #16 of 2,153 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Brunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Between 6th and 7th Street
Transit: Being a downtown Pittsburgh location, there are many options and we recommend going to the Port Authority website for schedules, rates and general information.
Description: Meat & Potatoes is a place with a warm, inviting pub atmosphere that serves sophisticated, yet unpretentious food. An extensive, and creative, cocktail, beer and wine list is an integral part of what we do at our wonderful establishment. Come visit a place where the locals dine!
Greensburg, PA
“Great new restaurant in downtown”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2011

Went to Meat and Potatoes before a concert in the cultural district. It's a great new place for downtown and they were sure to get us in and out before our show. Looks completely different from the prior restaurant that occupied that space - more comfortable and casual. Food was really good - we had a cheese plate and mussels for an appetizer and a flatbread and pork chop for dinner. The portion of the pork chop was obsenely huge - can't imagine anyone coming close to eating that much. The mussels portion was also huge. Wine is served in juice sized glasses like you might have at your Italian grandma's house! Chocolate mousse for dessert was out of this world. The place was packed - so I would highly recommend a reservation. My only complaint? I was through with my food before a second glass of wine was delivered, so I had to cancel it. Minor complaint.

• Visited September 2011

“amazing food! great service!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2011

i didn't expect to find such an amazing gastropub in downtown pittsburgh. we were referred here by the front desk of the fairmont and sooo glad we listened. i had a cocktail to start called the orangerie manhattan - a solid drink and it came with a garnish of brandied cherries i believe. we started with the pate which was amazing! it came in a mason jar along with grilled bread. also, the bone marrow was fantastic beyond words: the bones were large and the marrow was perfectly seasoned. just wonderful. my other half had a special for dinner - the shepherds pie which was excellent. i had the lobster risotto appetizer which was quite good. it was very hard deciding what to try since the entire menu was so enticing. for dessert we had key lime pie which was also served in a mason jar and was one of the best key lime pies we've had! i can't wait to get back to pittsburgh just to go back here - creative, yummy food!

• Visited August 2011
New York City, New York
“Not for everyone but we loved it”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2011

Great bar, interesting old fashioned cordials, eclectic food - great if you like small plates. Not a very large place so you could end up rubbing elbows. But the food is fresh and different. Barrel aged Negroni and Martinez are difficult to find

Pittsburgh area
“Hope it improves with time, for now I will go elsewhere”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2011

“Meat and Potatoes” is a new restaurant in the Pittsburgh’s Cultural District. It is conveniently located next to the Theater Square parking garage. They advertise their food to be “is simple and approachable” but that apparently does not mean that it is inexpensive. For instance they offer a “housemade” hotdog that will set you back $12. I dined there recently with my wife and two friends on an evening before a theater performance. We were seated at a table near the bar and it was rather loud. Our first surprise was that the menu was different from the menu that we had viewed online. Thus, I had to make a different selection than what I was looking forward to. If a restaurant wants to post its menu online, it should be current (especially in this case, where the establishment was only a few months old). We ordered our drinks and the wine came served in what can be best described as the water glass that my grandparents always kept on their bathroom sink. Folksy maybe but if I am going to drop $10 on a glass of wine, humor me and serve it in a proper wine glass. Another folksy touch was the napkins that were at our service. After discovering that we were getting lint all over our clothes from them, we examined them and determined that they were cut from a roll of those old-fashion cloth towels that used to be in public restrooms; you know the ones that you would pull down to get a clean section (I hope they were laundered well). Our meals were served in a slightly longer time then what would be expected for how uncrowded the restaurant was at that time. Our meals were decent but not memorable. We were not served any bread and later I saw some on another table. We had ordered: gnocci with mushrooms, chicken pot pie, veal Oscar, and a hamburger. I had the veal Oscar and would have enjoyed it more if they served lump crab meat instead of a little soft-shelled crab on top of a petit piece of veal. We did have room for dessert. Only to be disappointed to learn that there were only three choices that evening. They were all served in individual Mason jars. It worked fine for the berry panna cotta but the crust on the key lime pie was fused to the bottom of the jar and would have required abnormal effort to get it out. Would I return to this restaurant? Maybe at some point in time but, with several other fine choices nearby including Sonoma Grill, it would be low on my list.

• Visited August 2011