Residence Inn Pittsburgh University/Medical Center
SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh North Shore(Pittsburgh)(Great Value!)
$169
$144
$149
$127
$125
  • Pool
Omni William Penn Hotel(Pittsburgh)
$200
$169
  • Restaurant
  • Room Service
$140
$134
  • Pool
Residence Inn Pittsburgh North Shore(Pittsburgh)(Great Value!)
$107
$228
$188
Kimpton
  • Restaurant
$164
$131
$119
Hyatt Place Pittsburgh-North Shore(Pittsburgh)(Great Value!)
$119
Hyatt.com
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsfull kitchenparking garagefront deskbasketball courtpittsburgh universityseparate bedroomcarnegie mellonmarriott propertiesshuttle servicethe sofa bedhome away from homeextended stayhot tubyogurthockey tournamentoakland areaworking order
Reviewed June 3, 2006

My two sisters and I stayed at a suite at this hotel for 8 days with a cat. The beds must have been updated since some of the previous reviews, because they were quite nice and soft as a cloud when we stayed there. My sisters and I marveled at their softness and slept wonderfully. The room was clean and furnished nicely and comfortably. The two large windows had a great view of the city. I also had a cat so I was constantly afraid while we were out of the room that he might be accidentally let out of the room by housekeeping. Thankfully this never happened- they give a sign to put on the door stating that there is a pet within. When we needed anything, we called the front desk to have it sent up (ie shampoo, towels, trash bags). Front desk staff was courteous and efficient enough, and the breakfast was also plentiful and varied.

• Stayed: May 2006
3  Thank GardeniaRose
Reviewed April 11, 2006

We stayed in this Residence Inn in late February and it was nice, except for a few things. The staff was friendly and clueless -- they would promise to help but didn't have the ability to do anything. Our room backed up to the laundry and the head of our bed shared a wall with a room marked "employees only" or something. A loud hum came from this room all night starting about 6 pm and ending about 6 am. Also, the water in the shower wasn't hot. I didn't actually want to change rooms or have people come to the room so I just reported this and didn't make a fuss, and nothing happened. Friday night we slept with our feet toward the wall and I used earplugs and slept fine. Someone called Sat. eve. to see whether we were happy so I got to complain which was nice. I LOVED having a kitchen!

The hotel is a bit strange because it's built on top of another building or something; the ground floor just has an elevator and the lobby is upstairs. It shares the parking garage with a rehab center. Make sure you get the total estimated parking fee WITH TAX. Even with careful prep we got lost trying to find the hotel -- the directions (outsourced) are missing one crucial thing. We got lost a lot the rest of the weekend too -- that's Pittsburgh!

• Stayed: February 2006
2  Thank Happier-at-home
Reviewed December 5, 2005

Based on other reviews we a little hesitant about staying here. We were staying at this hotel due to a wedding.

The hotel is a little tricky to find and when you get there you need to go up a flight to get to check In. This was a little inconvenient. Once you figure out how to get there it is on a nice quiet part of the street and centrally located to things in Oakland.

Once in however the staff was very friendly and the room was nice with a kitchen, bedroom, living room and bathroom. It would have been nice if there was a King Size Bed but there was not. The bed was not as bad as stated in previous reviews. Our bed was actually pretty comfortable.

The breakfast each morning which is included was good. It offered hot as well as cold buffet

When I was there we had an emergency and needed to call an ambulance at 3 AM for my Mom who fell and hit her head. The staff at the hotel got an ambulance immediately, the Hotel Manager got out of bed at home and came to the hotel. The staff could not have been more helpful. Even down to housekeeping the staff asked about Mom each day and did everything they could to assist us through a bad situation. They even offered to drive us and pick us up from the hospital each day.

I would definitely stay at this hotel again as the service could not be beat.

• Stayed: December 2005
3  Thank lindafromNJ
A TripAdvisor Member
Oakton, Virginia
Reviewed March 28, 2005

The convenience to the University of Pittsburgh is why we stayed at this hotel. They provide a shuttle to campus, which is a nice service - although for our return, walking from campus was more efficient. I'm not sure how the shuttle is supposed to work, we were told to call for a return trip. It might have worked better to have regular, timed stops on campus that we could have aimed for.

Having a kitchen is always a great bonus, no matter how short a trip.

But the bed was so horrible and the linens so cheap that I got almost no sleep. My son slept on the pull out sofa, and I had to give him my spread because none was provided for that bed. Having read that Marriott plans to upgrade bed mattresses and linens, I would say they need to put this hotel on the list to receive those first. The pillows defied description, and should have been thrown out in 1940, which is how old they seemed.

• Stayed: March 2005, traveled on business
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 19, 2005

Just returned from a quick trip to Pittsburgh. Residence Inn was the only place to accomodate our last minute request for four rooms. The rooms are the typical one room suites. Some have seperate bedroom and some have studio setup. Place was clean but worn looking. Beds are totally uncomfortable like all Residence Inns. Why can't they get decent mattresses? Staff very friendly, complimentary breakfast average and location easy to find. Only problem was that there was no place to walk around once you left the hotel. You need a car or public transportation to get around. When I'm in a city, I like to take off and explore. Try the great restaurant across the street, Zarra's. A wonderful surprise. Also, Pamela's on Forbes is great for breakfast.

• Stayed: March 2005, traveled on business