Residence Inn Pittsburgh University/Medical Center
Ranked #44 of 72 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed October 15, 2009

While visiting family in the Pittsburgh area, we stayed at the Residence Inn by the University. We chose this hotel because of the style of room. We wanted a larger room, with seperate sleeping areas, and we could all be together in with a kitchen area. We reserved a one bedroom and were confirmed a one bedroom and told that there maybe an upgrade available.

First, parking is on site but costs $13.50 per day with in and out free. But it is a bit confusing. You have to enter on the lowest level go to the terrace level to check in then return to the lowest level to get your things. There is no direct access to your room elevator. It isn't as bad as it sounds but is a little inconvenient.

Second, our room ended up being a studio. It was large but there was only one bed and the sleeper sofa was as usual very uncomfortable and we didn't have any privacy. Since we drove we decided to purchase one of those foam bed pads so that our daughter could sleep.

We had asked about the upgrade to a 2 bedroom and were told there weren't any available. They didn't tell us that we didn't get the one bedroom that we had reserved though.

Next, the room had several things that were missing and not working. The phone on the desk was dead; probably disconnected but we couldn't find the cord to hook it up. The closet doors were off the track. There were not enough towels, there were no pillows for the sleeper, and there wasn't a mattress pad for the sleeper.

The bed did seem to be broken or maybe it was the floor but it sloped to one side and during the night the person on the up side tended to roll towards the person on the lower side. Luckily cuddling is not a problem for us. ;)

Also, there were many dark stains on the rug and the silverware and dishes for the room were shorted.

The soft goods were taken care of but they never fixed the phone or the closet. We finally fixed the closet ourselves. We never reported the silverware or dishes shortage.

The heat was on constantly and the room was very hot, regardless of our turning the thermostat down. We needed to keep the windows open so that the room would cool down.

Those were the bad parts of the stay. Some of the good parts are the staff at the Residence Inn is very courteous and pleasant despite the fact the reported failures were not repaired we think the staff was excellent.

The breakfast that is included every morning was great. There was a wonderful variety of foods and a very nice selection of hot items to choose from. The breakfast alone offsets the cost of the parking to stay here.

The location is great. It is a bit off the highway but not that difficult to get to and there are so many wonderful sights to see, things to do and places to eat right in the area.

There is WiFi in the room or if preferred there is a wired connection available in the room as well. Overall the furniture is comfortable enough and the room that we had did have a very nice view of the terrace.

The hotel manager did say she was going to compensate us in some way for our inconveniences but so far we have not seen anything. But I would say that given the past experiences we have had with Marriott, she will follow through.

Marriott rates this hotel as a category 3 out of 7. We tend to agree or maybe slightly less, 2 out of 7. It is not horrible but we would probably see if there was somewhere else to stay before returning to this place.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank Travel_Dreammer

Reviewed October 14, 2009

This was the only hotel available in the area for my stay. I'm surprised to see it billed as "pet friendly" with a non-refundable $100 per stay pet fee. If you're staying for a month, fine, but for a short get-away it's crazy. The cleaning staff spent no longer cleaning the rooms of the folks who had pets on our floor than they did the rooms where there were no pets. Management should either charge a lesser fee per night, or make it refundable to be truly "friendly" to those who have pets.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BoogleBoogle
Reviewed October 12, 2009

The pictures of this hotel looked pretty good, but the inside was run-down and had a bit of an odor. The people were very friendly, but the hotel is in need of a remodel.

Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
3  Thank sypder
Reviewed September 14, 2009

Staff was very friendly. Location was great (we took the bus to the Steeler's game, it was just a walk away.) I chose this hotel because they were pet friendly, and because of the price. The hotel exceeded my expectations. It is not a high end hotel, with the frills, but it was a great place for us to stay with our pet. We were able to get downtown easily by bus or car. There are interesting old neighborhoods that I walked my dog around daily. The outdoor dog area was great too. We did not go down for breakfast, but it looked like a good spread and seemed to be full of fresh food. I cannot think of anything negative to say about this place. The first day we arrived, we wanted to get something quick for lunch, and there were a couple places a couple blocks away, as well as a drug store that was convenient. The Italian place, Zarrah's across the street looked good, but unfortunately, we never made it there.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Glinkette
Reviewed August 31, 2009

Actually, the first and second times were "charms" too.
Our Pitt student was on study abroad last year, so it had been almost 2 years since our last visit to this Residence Inn. Our previous two visits were so good that I made sure that we booked a night at the Residence Inn when we helped move our student to Pitt for the fall semester. It was just as good as I remembered from our last visit in November 2007. (Please read that review for a detailed description of the hotel as we got equally good service in an equally good room on this stay.)

Just a couple of notes:

1. I was a bit concerned when we were given a room just across the hall from the elevator. But when I closed the door, I couldn't hear a thing outside the room. The entire stay at the hotel was totally noise-free, something I can't say about other suites hotels.

2. The indoor pool and spa were wonderful. We went twice and I appreciated the fact that the pool was cool, but not ice-cold and that the spa was hot, but not so hot that we couldn't sit in it for an extended time. The whole area was extremely clean and not at all stuffy like some indoor pool/apa areas.

3. I appreciated the fact that the fitness center was open 24 hours because I used it at a rather early-morning time. However, I must admit that I was disappointed to find the TV in there blaring some infomercial when I walked in (nobody else was there) and there was no way for me to turn it off. (I suppose I could have asked someone at the front desk to turn it off for me.)

4. Some previous reviews have criticized the lack of nearby restaurants and the general "seediness" of the area.
First, it's an easy 12-15 minute walk to Forbes Avenue in Oakland where there are LOTS of restaurant choices. Our only restaurant "problem" in Oakland is trying to decide where we want to eat.
Second, I am more familiar with this area now as our Pitt student has moved into an apartment just 2 blocks from the hotel. Yes, there are some "rundown-looking" buildings, but these are mostly student apartments or fraternity houses. When we were there yesterday, I noticed that our student's apartment building has a freshly-mown lawn and a gardenful of colorful flowers. The boys in the frat house next door had just mown their lawn and, down the street, a dad and his two teenage sons were working on their yard. In the neighborhood is a Church of Latter-day Saints, the State School for the Blind and an array of stately, older homes which I would die to own. Not exactly a "ghetto".

The Residence Inn is a real gem and I'm so glad we discovered it.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank longhorn74
Reviewed August 9, 2009

If you are doing college tours in Pittsburgh, the Residence Inn is a great choice. The rooms are more spacious than a typical hotel, and include a full kitchen. Although the hotel was full the night we were there, there was almost no noise to be heard inside the room.
There is a garage for parking, but since we were out so much, we just parked on the street.
The unusual feature here is a large outside terrace with tables and a barbeque grill. So, there was a nice place to just sit outside in good weather.
A full breakfast is included, with enough tables to hold everyone, even at a busy time.
Right across the street is a good Southern Italian restaurant called Zarro's-delicious homemade pastas and friendly service.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 5, 2009

Perfect location in relation to Tree's Pool at the University of Pittsburgh. Great Shuttle Service, and the Terrace could not have been better for unwinding with the other swim team families after the meet Rooms were perfect for the family and they modified the breakfast schedule to get us to the pool each morning on time. There we finals each night and with that schedule there plenty of places to eat after the meet.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family