Residence Inn Pittsburgh University/Medical Center
Ranked #43 of 72 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed June 20, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 2 nights. The staff was very pleasant and a couple hours after our arrival called to see if there was anything we needed. These are suite type rooms, but at rates comparable to other midtown hotels in Pittsburgh. We had a full kitchen with full size refrigerator, dishwasher, stove, microwave, etc. and dishes and some pots and pans supplied. Small table for dining, nice couch and chair with flat screen TV, separate bed room (with door separating it) and bathroom area off of the bedroom. I have lived in small efficiency apartments!

Location is great, close to Oakland/U. Pitt & CMU, easy drive to downtown and strip district. They offer nice hot breakfast buffet in the morning and "manager's receptions" in the afternoon with free beer & wine + changing munchies. Will definitely stay there again.

Oh, can't forget.... great bed soft with good support, slept great.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed April 17, 2013

The hotel was very comfortable could use some updating. The breakfast was good and has a nice outdoor patio area. You do have to pay 15 dollars a night to park which should be free since the hotel is 200 a night is my only complaint.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Great Place to stay close to Pitt campus for new Student ( our LAST of 4) orientation!!
Pool and hot tub great, breakfast great, beds great!, room and kitchen good.Thanks we will return and recommend.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 6, 2013

We were in Pittsburgh for 10 nights. We travelled from Australia for my wife to have surgery at UPMC. The hotel staff were fantastic, they couldn't do enough for us. They made it feel like home and really made the stay at the hotel a pleasure. The rooms were very comfortable with separate bedroom and ensuite and a full kitchen. It had everything you needed except a kettle which we thought was a little strange but no big deal as coffee and hot water is available near reception 24 hours a day. The only downside which didn't bother us too much is that the walls are very thin and you hear noise from neighbouring rooms and people in the hallways easily.
They have a complimentary shuttle service which operates about 14 hours of the day which will take you and pick you up anywhere within the university and hospital district. This worked well but be patient as depending on where the shuttle is in it's cycle. We could have used taxis but were told they were unreliable. The only time we did use a taxi was when we had to be at the hospital at 5am and the hotel shuttle wasn't running. The taxi was 20 minutes late validating the unreliability of Pittsburgh taxis.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BuzzardT
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Simply stated, this hotel needs to be refurbished. The furniture, flooring, and fixtures are all showing their age. It is not gross, but not up to Marriott standards. Noise seems to travel in the hotel also - particular plumbing sounds; the neighbor's shower sounded like a blast furnace each morning.

Breakfast was very good - more than just pastries. People should not go down to breakfast in their jammies but that is not the hotel's fault.

Staff was very friendly and helpful.

Very convenient to Pitt and PUMC.

Room Tip: Make sure you are not on the pet floor unless you really have a pet.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank PhillyArtie
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Stayed one night for a Pitt event. First thing I noticed when I walked into my room was the weird smell (b.o.?). I had to open a window to air out the stink. But, the room was nice, with the suite-style living/bedroom combination, and the stocked kitchen facilities would be good if you were going to make light meals for an extended stay. However, the complimentary full breakfast was good enough for me. It is not really within walking distance of the University of Pittsburgh, even though I was told that it was. Maybe it's possible in warmer weather. I had a room on the 4th floor, in a corner area with two rooms on each side. You can hear noises from the adjacent rooms - banging and slamming and whatnot. I also was facing the street so I heard traffic noises during the night. I did not mind that too much because I could see the city all lit up at night too. Overhead light in the bathroom is really dim - and why no shower cap? The shuttle they provided was super-convenient. Parking is about $15 per day. Overall, not a terrible stay and the front desk people were helpful.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 27, 2013

I must say that normally Marriott properties are pretty predictable...in a good way. I was disappointed with my stay at the Residence Inn in Pittsburgh. This property is located in a convenient location and without the hiccups in service, would be a highly recommended property. I'll tell you what didn't work for me. First of all, the body lotion was not new. I know this may seem petty but it make me nuts when these little containers are not new. Obviously the previous guest had used some as the lotion was dry around the opening and it was not full. How cheap can you be that you can't have an new 1 oz bottle. Secondly when they cleaned the room they left my coffee cup on the night stand next to the bed. I know another so what, but it should have been taken care of. Lastly, the business center had only one computer and it did not have a available USB slot for some files I needed to print. This was a huge inconvenience for me. Marriott sent me a survey and I filled it out but I wanted to post here as there is not good reason for not paying attention to these little things. Overall it's not a bad hotel, but it paying attention to the details that make a difference.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business