“Average room, incredible staff”

Residence Inn Pittsburgh University/Medical Center
Ranked #47 of 71 Hotels in Pittsburgh
California
“Average room, incredible staff”
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Everyone we came in contact with at this property was amazing. The 2 people behind the desk, the shuttle driver, the cleaning staff were all extraordinarily friendly and helpful.

The room we stayed in was a bit dated but was very clean. Nothing was missing. Breakfast was the standard buffet at a hotel like this with disposable plastic plates, but it was ample.

We walked from the hotel to Carnegie Mellon University for a college visit and also walked down Craig Street where we found a great choice of restaurants.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank orindagc

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Korean first
Jackson
Reviewed November 20, 2012

We are staying at this hotel for 8 days as my husband is having a procedure at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center. The hotel is filled with the friendliest staff. They are most helpful and considerate. They know how to work with folks who are getting treatments at the hospital. The hotel has regular shuttle service to the hospital and the shuttle drivers will pick you up from the hospital if you need them at a time that is not scheduled. The hotel is about a 5 to 7 minute drive from the hospital. I chose this hotel for 3 reasons: UPMC recommended it; it was close to the hospital; and it served breakfast.

The hotel has a breakfast set up every morning with the usual "stuff" (bacon, eggs, sausage, toast, cereal, muffins, fresh waffles, juice, coffee, etc.) and 3 nights a week they have a "social hour." Tonight they are going to serve meatloaf and mashed potatoes...last night they had salad, chicken noodle soup and brownies...the menu is located on the fridge door. These meals are complimentary!

There's an area where you can buy snacks...either pay cash or have the items put on your account. There's a laundry facility, pool, and gym. Our room has a complete, albeit tiny, kitchen should someone get the desire to cook. The nice folks will even stock the fridge -- all you have to do is leave a list of food stuffs you want at the front desk in the morning and by the time you return at night, the stuff will be there.

Our room is clean but its not immaculate. The carpet in the bathroom vanity area is stained, and the easy chair has seen better days as it's scuffed. The floors and carpet are vaccuumed but not with the utmost of care. The fridge, dishwasher, sink, counter, dishes and silverware are spotless, as is the coffeepot and toaster. We have a 40+ inch HDTV, adequate storage, and a comfy queen-sized bed. I've yet to figure out how often housekeeping comes in change linens and towels. I made the bed today as we had an early (5:30) appointment at the hospital. The rooms all have access to free wifi which can get bogged down (I wonder if it bogs down when too many people are online?)

Parking is an additional $13.50 a day but it is very convenient. When I made the reservations I asked them if they could help me out as we were going to stay for 8 days, and they "comped" me parking. They might do the same for you if you ask! We are staying during Thanksgiving week, and the room prices are higher than "normal" at $165+ tax per night.

The lobby and the social area are tidy but a little tired. The hotel could use a bit of freshening, but somehow that does not detract from the total package. We are strangers from a strange land and the nice people working at the hotel are making our stay as enjoyable as possible, given our situation with the hospital. They work with a lot of folks in our situation and they KNOW what to do! I definitely recommend this Residence Inn!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank LeeSnowbird
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed November 18, 2012

the room has a lot of space nice decoration, clean but the room had smell of smoking and it was a non smoking room, the refrigeration dindn´t work well but they replace it. Some of the staff not friendly but others very friendly.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank paula2708
Vienna, Virginia
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Every staff member we met during our stay was exceptionally helpful and friendly. The hotel itself is a little worn/tired. The furniture in the room is showing some signs of wear and the mattress was covered in an uncomfortable plastic cover. Parking was convenient and ample. The hotel was within walking distance to the university area. We would return to the hotel based on the wonderful customer service.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank JAR59
Texas
Reviewed October 18, 2012 via mobile

Friendly staff and decent room but overpriced for a business stay. I booked through an agent and a better location and updated rooms considering the price. Not a great location for dinner choices. One restaraunt within walking distance. I will try something else on my next visit.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank badman525
East Lyme, CT
Reviewed October 14, 2012

My wife and I and all my in-laws recently stayed here. My wife and I were there for 5 nights. The room was very nice and spotless. The breakfasts were very good with a lot of variety. With the great weather while in Pittsburgh, the terrace was a great place to eat or enjoy wine in the evening. And last, but not least, the staff was excellent. They were all very knowledgeable and friendly. They do a great job, even though one was a Philadelphia football fan (HA)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank VinMar_10
Lewisburg, West Virginia
Reviewed September 28, 2012

I stayed here on business as I was visiting both Duquesne and University of Pittsburgh. The hotels location is convenient to both schools and UPMC as well. It was a little different arrival than I have been used to as the lobby is not on street level. The lobby is on T level where there is a very nice terrace. Below the terrace level are the three parking garage levels. You can gain access to the garage without a key card and then proceed to the lobby. The breakfast area is adjacent to the front desk. They offer a nice breakfast included in your room rate. My room was comfortable and although I didn't utilize the cooking facilities I thought they were adequate if I wished to create a meal. There were a few pots, knives, plates, cups, and etc. The room had a small dining table for two, a writing desk with chair, couch, chair and ottoman, coffee table, queen size bed which was not terribly comfortable, and side tables. The bath was divided with the sink separate from the toilet and tub and I found the arrangement worked quite well. Everything appeared to be in working order, although I did not turn on the stove. Overall my room was clean and comfortable apart from the bed which I think was memory foam. All in all, this isn't a bad hotel but it is well worn. If I were coming back to Pittsburgh, I would consider staying here again. I think a person ought consider this hotel in the context of why do you want this location, and keep options available.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business