Residence Inn Pittsburgh University/Medical Center
Ranked #51 of 70 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Western Massachusetts
“Very nice stay”
Reviewed May 20, 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights on business. Overall, had a pleasurable stay. Beds were comfortable, nice kitchenette and living room area. The free breakfast each morning was convenient and free. The hot food (sausage, ham, eggs, etc.) was just okay, but there was a lot more from bagels to fruit to yogurt and juice. Shuttle service looked easy to use, but I didn't use it since I had a car. Parking garage was underneath hotel and was secure and clean. Nice patio with tables and chairs. The staff was super friendly. It's walking distance to craig street (shops and restaurants) and also to 5th avenue (little longer walk though). Lots of architecture in Pittsburgh and it's a beautiful area. Just keep in mind that this hotel is not in the thick of it all - it's up on a hill a little removed from hustle and bustle. I would return again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank MassIS300

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Korean first
Scottsdale, Arizona, United States
Reviewed May 7, 2012

I traveled alone for a bodybuilding competition nearby the hotel. It was a physically demanding trip and the shuttle was invaluable as there is limited taxi service in the area. Everyone, from Will at the front desk to Dan the shuttle driver to the housekeeping staff were, in a word, incredible! You can stay at many hotels, but if you want the most personable caring staff and the nicest rooms with home type amenities, especially if you are visiting the areas hospitals, please, this should be your only choice. I'll be back two more times this summer, i wouldn't think of staying anywhere else!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Trisha F
Ulm
Reviewed April 27, 2012

The hotel is next to UPMC, offers apartments with kitchen, washing facility, small gym and pool. I had a room that must have been next to a electricity generator, since there was an annoying sound all night that could not be located in the room, so don't get room #211. Shuttle service to UPMC, but not really flexible, taxi waiting time is very long!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank howo72
Monroeville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 23, 2012

My husband and I have stayed at this hotel numerous times in the last two months. As a Marriott Gold member they always give me a little welcome gift and have the first names of other reward members listed on a small board at the front desk. I have not received that type of recognition at some of the other Marriott's so I really like their extra effort. We enjoy their breakfast. They have a nice selection and also three days during the week they have a manager's evening reception with snacks. We used the free shuttle service to Oakland hospitals often and appreciate not having to drive the congested and difficult traffic. They make it easy we just call when ready to be picked up and returned to the hotel. The van drivers have been very warm and welcoming. Going back and forth to medical appointments has been made much easier for us because of the great service here.

Room Tip: If you request a high floor room to the left you should have a pretty good view of the Oakland area.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 19, 2012

Stayed here to see Michael Jackson's Immortal Tour at the Peterson Event Center and quickly found out that it would have been better to stay here longer than the two days we booked since the hotel had a huge fridge, stove, and even offered grocery service. A downside for me was that there was no book in the room for nearby restaurants, places to visit or what the hotel had to offer. I discovered that the hotel had a theater/billiard room after I came home and read another review! A front desk clerk was very helpful in suggesting things to do, but I honestly don't know how we could have found some things without my cellphone which has these features. On the other hand, the view from our room was breath taking. We were above the terrace and you could see miles of homes and beautiful mountains.On our second day we drove to the Pittsburgh Zoo and Aquarium. I highly recommend it for a family outing or for anyone who loves animals as we do. The admission price was very reasonable and the zoo was beautiful and clean. The manager and staff at this hotel were very friendly and made you feel welcomed. Overall, it's a nice clean hotel in a great location within walking or shuttle distance to many places

Room Tip: Higher rooms have awesome views.
3 Thank mjmami137
Connecticut
Reviewed April 19, 2012

This was our first time staying at this hotel. We normally stay at the Courtyard in the Waterfront. This hotel is much closer to where our son lives so we decided to give it a shot. We booked a one bedroom for two nights and arrived a little early but the room was ready. It featured a nice size living room with kitchen and dining table. The bedroom was a tad on the smallish side and the bathroom sink was outside the bathroom. I did notice a couple of small things - a hole beneath the bathroom sink lights and above the mirror and some mildew in the grout on the bathroom floor but other than that the room was attractive and inviting. When we left for the first day, the room attendant asked us if there was anything we needed and we replied no thinking she meant "anything extra". Unfortunately when we returned, we found she skipped our room. No clean towels or sheets. I went to the front desk and they showed me where the clean towels were kept and offered to credit Marriott Rewards points to my account for the misunderstanding. I didn't consider this a deal breaker and my overall opinion is I would stay here again if the rate was favorable to the Courtyard.

Ohio
Reviewed April 17, 2012

We stayed here while doing college visits with our son. I think this was one of the friendlies hotels we've ever encountered. The manager was in the lobby much of the time, chatting with guests and asking if we needed anything. When we checked in, they gave us a gift bag of sorts with a snack, a couple water bottles, and a list of nearby restaurants. The desk staff was very nice. The breakfast was great with many hot food choices. In the evening, they had a complimentary nacho buffet. We had enough to eat to call it dinner. The room was quite and good with a full kitchen and separate bedroom. The view was a pretty little terrace area in the back with a basketball court. I think this would be a nice hotel for families with young kids b/c the bb court and terrace area are next to the indoor pool. It would be a nice place for kids to run around outside. Son used the treadmill and said it was good. We all swam and used the hot tub in the evening. Only odd thing was the entrance to the hotel. You park in the garage and take an elevator to the lobby. But it was ok. Highly recommended.