“Gorgeous Hotel”

Renaissance Pittsburgh Hotel
Ranked #16 of 71 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed May 11, 2014

What a gorgeous hotel. Staff was friendly and very attentive. Located within walking distance to the ball parks. If possible, ask for a room over looking the river. Was pleasantly surprised that this is a Marriott property.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Renaissance Pittsburgh Hotel

Reviewed May 10, 2014

This is a fine hotel. Spacious clean room, friendly staff, nice beds, variety of pillows, linens fine, nice showers. Free, stable wifi. Outlets on lamp were handy for charging. Great location near ballpark.. Very close to convention center. The lobby is fun to have seen. The restaurant did not have a lot of choices, but the French onion soup was great.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank timidtravelerUs
Reviewed May 6, 2014

Pros:

* Location
* View (if facing the river towards PNC park)
* Rooms are clean, comfortable, and modern
* TV's had almost 100 channels (which was good for hanging out the night before running a marathon)
* Friendly, professional staff

Ehh's:

* Lobby bar is more of an afterthought. With bright, fluorescent lighting, it resembles more of a NJ diner counter than a bar in an historic, full-service hotel. For $10k, a simple makeover would correct this problem and surely drive enough extra business to the bar to pay for the upgrades in little time.
* Restaurant on site has a nice menu, good decor, and professional service. On the other hand, every dish that we had was under-seasoned.
* Even though we had a great room with a view, we were disappointed that our beautiful, huge windows were not clean on the outside. It would've been great to have a clear view.

Tip: Park across the street in the city garage.

Overall, our gripes were minor, and we'd probably return to this hotel in the future (as long as we retain our elite status and can get upgraded accordingly).

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of PNC Park and the river.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 5, 2014

I stayed here two nights for a conference at the nearby convention center. The hotel was convenient and lovely. I drove and parked easily in the garage across the street. I enjoyed two runs along the river (Three Rivers Heritage Trail) and walked easily to the convention center, the Strip District, and across the city to the incline. My room had a great view of the river and the Pirates' stadium. I enjoyed getting some work done at the desk overlooking the river, and my room was clean and well-appointed. I also appreciated the free wifi, a must for me these days. I will definitely stay here if and when I return to Pittsburgh.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed May 3, 2014 via mobile

I love being able to go from my room to a meeting in 5 minutes!

I hate the fact that the TVs are locked down, no changing inputs. In this day and age, mobile devices with HD media abound, but can't be used unless I bring my own TV?

While the staff in the lounge is great, a little selection won't hurt you. (both drink and food) And the prices... There's a difference between charging for a superior product and just plain overcharging.

Why does my Elite status never get me into the concierge Lounge at the Renaissance? If I have to point this out to you, what IS the point?

I could go on, but these are just a few reasons why I prefer the Springhill Suites across the river... unless I'm completely strapped for time, the extra walk is well worth it.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Jared W
Paul N, General Manager at Renaissance Pittsburgh Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2014

Thank you for your feedback regarding the Renaissance Pittsburgh. We will review your comments at our next staff meeting so that we can focus on opportunities to enhance the experience of our valued guests. I appreciate you taking the time to comment and I apologize that we did not meet all of your expectations. Our goal is to exceed all of our guests expectations at the Renaissance Pittsburgh.

Paul Newmaster

Reviewed April 24, 2014

Stayed for one night while attending a concert at the Consol Energy Center. Beautiful historic hotel with all the modern conveniences and comfort. Our room on the 14th floor/Concierge level was spacious and lovely. Very clean and well appointed. Aveda products, nice towels and plush linens. Very high ceilings and windows. We overlooked the interior courtyard but still had plenty of light.
Food and beverages in the 14th floor lounge were high quality and ample. Attentive staff was always there yet unobtrusive.
The hotel is in an excellent location. We walked to the concert and dinner in the evening and went for a run around the sport stadiums and along the pleasant river walk in the morning. Felt like a safe area. We would love to stay there again!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kim H
Reviewed April 24, 2014

My husband and I stayed here during a 2 day stay in Pittsburgh. The lobby staff were welcoming and accommodating (even when we showed up early for our check-in). The room was huge with a wonderful view of the Three Sisters. There is a restaurant on site, though we opted to eat at nearby places. The lobby is gorgeous!

Room Tip: Choose a city view.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business