“One of the best Renaissance hotels in US”

Renaissance Pittsburgh Hotel
Ranked #13 of 70 Hotels in Pittsburgh
NYC
“One of the best Renaissance hotels in US”
Reviewed May 9, 2013

I stayed for one week for business. I usually stay at Renaissance or Marriott hotels and this Renaissnce Pittsburg was one of the best Renaissance I've stayed at in the US in terms of property, service, and location. I had an issue with the room on the first night and the general manager quickly gave me a room with a great view. The first room was smaller but had nice wall paper and new modern furniture with a high ceiling. The second room was a huge corner room on the top floor with a magnificent view of the river and the ball park and a jacuzzi (room 1407). The mattress and furniture were a little bit old comprared to the first room, but I had a very comfortable stay for the week. The business lounge had the best oatmeal. I ate oatmeal in many Renaissance/Marriott hotels but they had by far the best oatmeal, if you care. I ordered room service twice from the hotel restaurant (grilled salmon and scallops) but unfortunately the food was not up to par. I had a nice meal at Six Penn restaurant one block away.

This is not Fairmont or Ritz Carlton but is one of the best within its category in the US. I'm a Marriott gold member and was thinking about switching to Hilton but friendly service like this keeps me loyal to Marriott.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the river have great views.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
GMRenPgh, General Manager at Renaissance Pittsburgh Hotel, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Dear Akiroz, so glad that you enjoyed the room and the view. Hopefully you saw part of a Pirates' game. I'll be honest sometimes when I inspect the rooms overlooking the river and stadium I relish looking into the stadium to see how everything is so pristine and serene. A totally different perspective than during a game!!! If I remember right you were the guest with the noisy room next door when I was helping at the front desk. Once again, our apologies for that guest but so glad that we were able to make amends.

Look forward to your next visit. Barbara McMahon, GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (402)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Hotel is located near everything , it was very clean and the staff was very helpful. The bartender Renee is great . We didn't leave the bat at all when she was working because she is do friendly. I wilk definitely be back

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Tires, Renee is definitely a keeper. We are very fortunate to have her as part of our team. Thank you for sharing on TripAdvisor. We definitely will share with Renee and post in our hotel's daily newsletter. Barbara McMahon, GM
San Diego, California
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Stayed here for a few days while on business and had an ordinary experience. They gave me a great room and the room was just avg. as far as cleanliness. The downtown atmosphere was great and very close to many restaurants and bars. All these restaurants are a short walk 5-7 min. The hotel bar and restaurant was grossly overpriced as most hotels are. $19 for a breakfast buffet is laughable. All in all, the stay was fine besides the small issues I mentioned.

PS: the room walls are very thing and therefor you here every sound in rooms next to you. You can even hear the toilet flush..

Room Tip: Get a room with a view of the river and ballpark. It's very nice..
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
GMRenPgh, General Manager at Renaissance Pittsburgh Hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Dear KP,
Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel on TripAdvisor. We appreciate the fact that you enjoyed the room but thought it could be cleaner. If possible I would like to hear more. Can you please contact me at 412-992-2043. Regardless how small, the concern is of importance to me. I hope you call. Thank you very much.

Barbara McMahon, GM
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Very good hotel, nice facility, gorgeous atrium foyer, smart doormen and concierge, knowledgable. Nice location near the water with a bar (smallish) and a nice restaurant. The foyer though beautiful was dark, and had modern art which clashed with the more classic architecture of the building. We walked everywhere.

Room Tip: Upper floors with a view of the water are great and easy to get if you request them.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Shawn91,
Thank you for the recent TripAdvisor review and congratulations on your Pitt grad. The hotel is 104 years old. Prior to 13 years ago, the building housed offices, a disco and various other businesses including a boys prep school. The lobby will have a mini facelift in December with the rooms having a complete redo in January.

We are glad that you enjoyed the views from your room. Hopefully you may have even caught a little of a Pirates game across the river. Look forward to your next visit. Barbara McMahon, GM
Toronto
Reviewed May 8, 2013

We stayed here for 1 night to watch the Pirates. The price for this hotel (as well as others downtown) seem a bit high for this city. The location was perfect for walking to the Pirates game. The hotel is definitely more historic style - which is not our usual preference. The rooms were a bit old & ours was very small, but the bedding & bathroom was decent.

As a side tip...make sure to check out Pamela's P&G Diner - amazing breakfasts!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Foodie, thank you very much for your recent TripAdvisor review. It was a busy weekend and week in Pittsburgh due to the marathon and a convention. Thank you still for visiting our city and staying at our hotel.

Good news, the hotel guest rooms will be totally remodeled and upgraded in January. We are finalizing the designs and getting ready for a few model rooms to "test sleep" before we order all of the furniture.

Glad that you found Pamela's. It is our President's favorite breakfast restaurant. President Obama loves those crepe pancakes. I do too!!! Next time you will need to try our city’s famous Primanti Brothers’ sandwich. Or how about the hotel’s short rib pierogies? Pittsburgh is a great food city and if you need ideas, I am more than willing to help.
Again, feedback is a gift. Thank YOU.

Barbara McMahon, GM
Dallas, Texas, United States
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Reviewing belatedly but this was a great visit. I loved the building. Fantastic, old architecture to keep the eye occupied! The staff was very friendly. Front desk staff was attentive and accommodating, even offering up passes for the casino nearby. There was no bellman to greet us or take our bags as we walked into the hotel but he did make sure everything made it to the room quickly. He was also readily available to direct us to nearby restaurants. (I would have appreciated if he had been more knowledgeable about the area though... Downtown Pittsburgh is nice but it doesn't have a TON of offerings. A little homework on his part would have gone a long way.)

The room was beautiful. It was clearly renovated. The colors were pleasing and friendly. Everything was neat and tidy. Our view was almost non-existent but still somewhat enjoyable because snow was falling and it was a clear day.

Parking validation would have been great, fortunately we didn't have to pay but i would have been irritated if I did have to pay. The garage was across the street, not easy to find, not particularly easy to access and not heated. Definitely could have used a bellman at the door so we didn't have to lug our bags from the 3rd floor of the garage across the street into the hotel.

Overall, our visit was great. I enjoyed the hotel. Easy access to the stadium, casinos, restaurants and the highway. We had a wonderful time and the friendly front desk staff made the visit that much more special.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your TripAdvisor review. If this helps, in the future, please know that we do have valet parking or please just drive your car to the area for cars at the hotel entrance. We will unpack the car and then you can park the car across the street. Lots of our guests find this very convenient and the city garage prices are the best in town on weekends.

Thank you also for the tip to make sure our bellmen are more knowledgeable of offerings of the area. Consider it done.

Look forward to your next visit. Barbara McMahon, GM
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed May 7, 2013

First off, we waited in line to be checked in for over 15 minutes. Sorry, not acceptable.
Second our bedroom was a queen only. Seriously? to pay money to have a smaller bed than at home? (note, the booking said 'king or queen' but I honestly though what hotel has only queen beds). View was nice, bed was comfortable. that's where it ended. The tub was moldy, as was the ceiling above the tub. The doors in our hallway slammed shut enough that starting at 7am, I was woken up, as well as being woken up as the late night partiers arrived home. Definitely not a good nights rest. AND we were at the end of the hallway. I feel terrible for those in the middle since the room did not block out ANY of the hallway noise. Also, no in-room safe. Overall, not worth my money. I'd stay at the westin or fairmont.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest, I am so sorry that your experience was less than satisfactory. Trust me this is atypical of our hotel. Please contact me directly at 412-992-2043 so that I may express my personal apologies and begin to make amends. Thank you. Barbara McMahon, GM