“Trendy Hotel in a nice area”

Renaissance Pittsburgh Hotel
Ranked #13 of 68 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Toronto, Ontario
“Trendy Hotel in a nice area”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2011

My husband and I arrived at the hotel to check-in around 11pm on Friday night. Even with such a late arrival, there was no room in front of the hotel to park the car, and the valet was nowhere to be found for at least 10 mins.
The lobby was surprisingly busy as the hotel bar was over spilling with people, but this created a very fun atmosphere. The purple hued lobby with the large pillow adored couch in the center was further accented this lounge feel. This is not what I expected when initially booking. I was glad that this theme did not carry on throughout the hotel.
The room was quite large, had a nice view of the river and was well decorated - trendy and modern yet welcoming. The bathroom, although nice at first appearance did seem to need a facelift as the wallpaper was peeling.

Location is great - walking distance to most of the sights.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the river
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
GMRenPgh, General Manager at Renaissance Pittsburgh Hotel, responded to this review, August 31, 2011
Thank you very much for commenting about your experience with TripAdvisor. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay but disappointed about the peeling wallpaper. We are in the process of a minor renovation of guest hallways and bathrooms including wall vinyl. While you were not on one of the six renovated floors, the wall paper should have been adhered to the wall. My sincerest apologies. This is not the norm of our guest rooms.

Loving Life. Barbara McMahon, GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (390)
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2011

My husband, son and I stayed at the Renaissance for two nights at the end of July, and we couldn't be more pleased with this hotel! The hotel is as beautiful as the pictures on their website show; the lobby is absolutely gorgeous and has been decorated very nicely. We were upgraded to a corner river view room (thanks Matt!), and the view was wonderful. We enjoyed watching the boats and the people walking on the bridge right in front of our windows. It was so much fun to watch the beautiful view of the city at different times of the day and at night.

We ate dinner at Braddocks, the hotel restaurant Friday night, and the food was very good. I highly recommend the lobster gnocchi! We had a fantastic server, Katie, who also served us a delicious breakfast during our stay. My husband and I were impressed that the restaurant didn't try to charge a ridiculous amount for the items on the kids menu. Everything was very reasonably priced, and the portions were generous, even for our twelve year old son.

I really can't think of anything I didn't like about the Renaissance, except it kind of spoiled us for the rest of our vacation. Our other hotels were fine, but none ever came close to the view we had in Pittsburgh. We hope one day to return!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for taking time to review our hotel with TripAdvisor. We are delighted that you enjoyed the hotel, the food, and services. I agree it is amazing to watch the world outside thru those great big windows. Even in the winter, it is a wonderful view. Thank you for staying with us.
Loving Life. Barbara McMahon, GM
Fredonia, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2011

Booked over the website and called to confirm and they couldn't locate the rooms! Then changed plans and cancelled the rooms over the phone and misplaced the cancellation numbers. They wouldn't even discuss reversing the charges and we were obviously a "no show". Almost $1,000 in charges. Don't stay there!! Plenty of other nice places in Pittsburgh and you won't have to worry about billing.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank LUCASHOUSE
charlotte
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2011

This is a very nice hotel. It's right downtown, in walking distance to restaurants and to Heinz field as well. We will definitely be back to catch a steeler game or two. The room we were in was very spacious, the view was awesome. Everything was clean and in order and every staff member we encountered was more than friendly.

• Stayed July 2011
GMRenPgh, General Manager at Renaissance Pittsburgh Hotel, responded to this review, August 8, 2011
Just love this place! Tahnk you very much for Comments posted on TripAdvisor. On behalf of the entire staff, we appreciate your business. We look forward to seeing you during Steeler season and we love this place, too:) Barbara McMahon, GM
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2011

My experience started when I called the hotel to look into an early check in. I recently reunited with my college girlfriend from many years ago. She was flying in from New York and I wanted to spend the first night somewhere special. I spoke with Penny on the phone who couldn't have been sweeter. I hope the hotel realizes what an asset she is. She put a special note on my reservation and I dont know what it said, but Angela at the desk and Ellen were all smiles when they read it. Both couldnt have been any nicer. Our room was gorgeous. corner room overlooking the river, bridge, and PNC Park. Angela suggested we try the restaurant in the hotel and mentioned the lobster gnocci. Out of this world second best thing i ever ate. The young male bartender said the braised short rib pirogies were great. That was the best thing I ever ate. My new yorker sweetheart was very impressed and agreed. I usually don't dine at the hotel restaurants but I would eat there without staying at the hotel. I wanted my girl to love Pittsburgh and the Renaisssance made it very easy for me. The room was beautiful and spotless. Our waitress was a sweetheart, i wish i could remember her name. Thanks to the entire staff, we had a wonderful time. Thank you Penny for setting me up with your special note. I have never felt so welcome in any hotel in my life. Someday I hope to invite you all to the wedding. lol. This is Pittsburgh, and we showed the new yawkahs how its done.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for posting your comments about the Renaissance Pittsburgh in TripAdvisor. And on behalf of the entire team, thank you for your business. We are delighted to know that we helped with making a great Pittsburgh impression and look forward to wedding plans.:). Best wishes. Barbara McMahon, GM
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2011

The lobby is gorgeous, the staff friendly and the food quite good. The meeting room floor felt like a Virgin Airlines plane ( in a good way): clean, with funky pink lights. Several celebs were there when I was staying, so it felt like the place to be in Pittsburgh!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2011

We had a block of rooms here for our wedding in Pittsburgh and we had our rehearsal dinner at the hotel. The building is beautiful and the rooms are very spacious and comfortable. The staff were incredibly gracious, helpful and friendly.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family