“Burger in the 'burgh”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 21, 2013

My significant other and I visited the Burgatory at Waterworks Mall in Fox Chapel today. We are fans of another local burger restaurant (begins with a T) and wanted to try the competition. I must say, the burgers were good. The menu didn't specify the weight of the burger but I would estimate it was near a 1/2 pound and it was cooked to perfection! The quality of the meat was very good -- fresh, tender and tasty. The bun was fresh and toasted, but was not loaded with butter before it was toasted -- a big plus in my book. I had the standard cheesburger and my honey had the Morton. I ordered fries and he ordered the cole slaw. The fries were good, a little over seasoned to my liking but were fresh cut. The slaw reminded me of asian slaw -- I liked it, he didnt. There are many, many choices on the menu. We ordered a milkshake and it was top notch. I asked the server what the brand of ice cream was and she told me they make their own....Impressive! The place was PACKED, it was clean, and the service was good. I do think the prices were a little on the high side (our total bill was $36) but it was a good experience and I will go back again. Try it, I think you will like it too!

Reviewed January 12, 2013

This place has great food, but the wait is usually long pretty much all the time. If you want to wait-consider yourself lucky if you find a spot near the bar. The area around the bar is very small and not much room to stand if you don't have a seat (this is the biggest downfall of this place). I've been here a few times and have always had good food and service.
I recommend going here Monday-Thursday it will make for a more enjoyable time. Or have a back-up plan for drinks at another bar nearby because they can text you when your table is ready.

Reviewed January 10, 2013

Heard about this place from some work associates and decided to try it out. Showed up and the wait was 45 minutes. Glad we waited it out. Order off the standard menu or create something that shows off your culinary flare. This is the best burger that I've ever eaten. Save enough room for a shake or get it to go. I'll be back for sure.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

I am married to a Pittsburgh native so am in town every year. We tried Burgatory for the first time this year. Ok, this place seriously has the best burgers we have ever eaten - no exaggeration here. It's a casual burger joint and from the outside it does not look like it's anything special. But, the burgers are AMAZING. And they had a great bar and drinks too.

My husband ordered the Meat Your Maker burger and I had the Crab Shack. These were the best prepared burgers we have ever eaten. All the meat used is natural/organic so they pay a lot of attention to the quality of their ingredients. You also have the choice of creating your own burger and having it prepared exactly the way you want it. Our kids tried the milkshakes - they had the Pumpkin Pie milkshake (it was post Thanksgiving time). These milkshakes are HUGE so you can easily order one and then split it. When you come here, come with a big appetite. You will be full for hours afterwards but it was worth every penny.

Burgatory does not take reservations so be prepared to wait, particularly over the weekends. My only criticism is that they don't really have anywhere to sit in the waiting area. Considering they don't take reservations, they really ought to put some seating in the waiting area.

This place rocks. When in Pittsburgh - you must eat here. Go enjoy!

Reviewed January 1, 2013

My friends and I stopped in after work and put our names on the list (they send you a text when your table is ready!) and waited for our first experience. All I have to say is WOW! Options are literally endless, and the atmosphere is casual and inviting to people of all ages.

An average burger starts at 8, but you can build from there. They have pre-determined options, or you can create a custom burger made just how you want!

Staff was good, and patient, and every table was occupied! I now see why there is a wait. Plan on arriving about an hour ahead of when you want to eat, then head to Wal-Mart or somewhere near by (within a ten minute window) to spend you time waiting.

My menu was a Burnt Almond Torte milkshake ($6 sans alcohol, with actual cake and almonds in it), and a custom aged beef burger ($12) seasoned with angel dust (S,P, and garlic) with grilled pineapple, applewood smoked bacon, onion straws, banana peppers, bourbon BBQ sauce, and mixed greens on a brioche bun (you have your choice of bread too!) with a side of herb and sea salt fries. Hands down, maybe the best burger I've ever had!! A second trip is already in the works, and I'm sure it's the first of many. Hooked on Burgatory!