“Great museum”

Carnegie Museum of Art
Ranked #21 of 182 things to do in Pittsburgh
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Create memories at Carnegie Museum of Art! Wander through an extensive art collection, including French Impressionist and post-Impressionist paintings, American art, and contemporary works. Creative kids, from toddlers to teenagers, love our hands-on art making activities, guided tours for families and more. Our new artist-designed playground is just the place to take a break!
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Activities for young children, Stairs / elevator, Wheelchair access, Stroller parking, Lockers / storage, Food available for purchase
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Top of the line museum with a wonderful collection. Building is older, but this adds to the charm.

If military, be sure to show your ID for a 50% discount on admission

1  Thank enternamehere

Reviewed October 14, 2012

I have never walked into a room to have my breath catch in my throat and tears well up in my eyes, until this one day in Saeptember at the Carnegie Museum of Art.
I had never seen a real degas or van gogh or any art so amazing. the walk was hours long as I moved in a progressive art period order. I actually walked it backwards from modern art to the beginning. I was simply dumbstruck and I'm so glad that I went by myself so I could experience all of those emotions without distraction. This museum is a soul moving life altering creation. I hope that everyone can come and experience what I did. For only $17 you get access to both the Art musem and the natural history musem. It took me about 4 hours to wlk through both. (I skipped the architecture installation. The proctor was less than pleasant so I left) Everyone else was extremely helpful. Thr front desk gal told me about a local gallery crawl going on that night and other eclectic places that I could visit. The proctor in the community art room was simply great. I was lost in emotion when I wandered in and she spoke sweetly to me explaining what I was looking at and information about some of the works there.

Reviewed October 9, 2012

We visited as a class art trip and were only there to look for a couple hours. I would have loved to look even longer and spent the whole day there, there is simply just to much to take in. We had a guided tour of certain paintings and the guide was awesome and very informational.

Reviewed October 4, 2012

Visited the Museum many, many times from when I was a child growing up in Oakland. The memories flood back with every visit as an adult.

Reviewed September 20, 2012

The Whistler Exhibit was well done and enlightening. THe newly done general collection is bright and interesting. The Post-impressionist collection terrific. Overall an interesting collection-a good place to spend several hours to tour the major collections