“Mostly a kids place”

Carnegie Museum of Natural History
Ranked #4 of 166 things to do in Pittsburgh
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Carnegie Museum of Natural History is the place for kids to discover science and the wonders of the natural world. Dig for bones in Bonehunters Quarry, get hands-on with real and replica specimens in Discovery Basecamp, grind corn in a Hopi home, and more. Dinosaurs are just the beginning! Free family-activities, touchables, and Bonehunters Quarry available each weekend and weekdays during the summer.
Useful Information: Stroller parking, Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Lockers / storage, Stairs / elevator, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
Columbus, Ohio
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Mostly a kids place”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

My husband & I went there when we were visiting Pittsburgh for a concert. Fee is kinda pricy for what it is. They have good exhibits, but it seems small.

Visited June 2013

• Korean first
New Castle, Pennsylvania
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Job”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

Worked at the Carnegie Museum in the personal marketing department. The nicest people work at the Carnegie Museum.
Love the Natural History. Great design! Kids enjoyed their visits there!

Hamilton, New Jersey
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“What they have is nice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

I'm spoiled by living near the Natural History Museum in NYC. This museum in Pittsburgh is very nice and well-maintained, for the exhibits that they have. It's like a sampling of what I'm used to seeing in NY.

Visited June 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Well worth the money”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2013

Being history buffs, my husband and I were most interested in the U.S.S Requin submarine which is docked outside the museum. You do have the option to see just the submarine or view the entire museum for a minimal price. The submarine is a must see if you are interested in World War history or anything naval.

This is an excellent place for kids and adults alike. I would recommend it to anyone with children between 7-13. There's plenty to keep them interested and easily combines science and fun; the dinosaurs and gems are the chief attractions here. Phototgraphy is prohibited in certain places, like the Gem Room.

There are several options for a quick lunch as well. Make sure you have about 3-4 hours at least if you wish to tour the whole museum.

Visited May 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“We had a horrible experience here at my son's wedding”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2013

We have been here many times for events in the hall of music and it is a beautiful venue. However, at my sons wedding reception which was held here in May 2013, we had a horrible experience. After the cocktails, which were held on the second floor balcony, guests were asked to move to the main floor for dinner. The elevators gave out and our disabled guests (4 people in wheelchairs) were trapped upstairs. So while all of the other guests could enjoy dinner with the bridal party, these 4 individuals were trapped. Further, the catering company that you must use for events here, had no plan in place for such a situation other than to call an elevator repair company- they even told us it "wasn't their problem, this is a really old building." By the time someone finally showed up to get it fixed, dinner was over and our guests had been relegated to the peanut gallery and humiliated in the process. It ruined the event for me, the mother of the groom, as I was worried about our guests and couldn't enjoy the event. It was a fire and safety hazard and I will never go here again and will recommend to everyone I know that they don't have events here either.

Visited May 2013