“Outstanding and remarkable!”

Senator John Heinz History Center
Ranked #10 of 185 things to do in Pittsburgh
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Went to see the year of love 1968 which was great. Then we proceeded on . 6 floors of sports, Indians , slavery , Pittsburgh crafts and more. Totally moving experience , something for everyone. Plenty of chairs with great views and employees who obviously love working there. A truly wonderful day!!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,087)

Reviewed April 18, 2013

I have a bit of a bias; I worked at the History Center right after I finished my undergrad work. I loved it then and I love it still.

There have been a lot of changes since then - 60,000 square feet of changes. The addition of the sports hall of fame complex was only in blueprints when I left for grad school, and now it's a fully realized space. However, my fondest memories come from the original seven floors.

The museum, originally an ice warehouse, has a great atmosphere. It's wonderful to visit just to see the building. I've been present at a number of weddings, bar mitzvah's, and business events there - it's a great venue.

The exhibits are fantastic as well. They're highly interactive, very visual, and well executed. Anyone with a love for modern history should definitely visit.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

Allow at least 2 - 3 hours. Maybe more. A little heavy on sports for me, but my boyfriend liked that part the best. The Superbowl rings and the Hornus Wagner baseball card were a favorites of his.
Heinz exhibit was closed but everything else was open and well done.
Cost $15.00 per person.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

Everything Pittsburgh through the years can be found here. We were disappointed that the Heinz 57 exhibit was closed during our visit, but we were still able to spend a few hours learning about the region. Technology, Innovation, and Industry exhibits provided plenty of knowledge on the area. Western Pennsylvania Sports Museum (within the Heinz History Center) had plenty to offer on sports - we only went through the lower flower, so don't know what the upper floor has to offer. Also on the first floor, the current exhibit in coordination with The Smithsonian provided a detailed look at the year 1968.
Guides were available throughout the museum to provide further information or assistance.

Reviewed April 12, 2013

The Heinz history center is a good representation of Pittsburgh's history and development. Indeed, the current 1968 exhibit, which takes both a national and local focus is outstanding. A nice mix of pop culture, video history, and political turmoil.

It's a tad too heavy on the sports theme to my taste, and given that it occupies a fair portion of the center, drags it down from a five-star rating. One other component of the museum--devoted to Lewis and Clark is both unnecessary and dreadfully incomplete.