“Great value for the money, good location” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Pittsburgh Airport

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Pittsburgh Airport
Ranked #42 of 68 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Cleveland, Ohio
“Great value for the money, good location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2008

My wife and I needed an inexpensive hotel for a weekend trip to Pittsburgh. Everything downtown was a bit too expensive for our tastes, so we found this hotel through Tripadvisor. It's in a great location, right off the freeway, about 10-15 minutes from downtown (depending on traffic). We found the hotel to be exceptionally clean, though our hallway did have the slight odor of cigarettes (Pennsylvania doesn't have a nonsmoking law like Ohio). However, our room did not have any cigarette odor in the slightest. The room was very clean, and very nice. The bathroom had a good layout, with a nice sink with built-in shelves underneath, perfect for us to put our toiletry kits on. We chose the "executive room" with the king-sized bed, and the mattress and pillows were very comfortable. We also liked having the fridge and microwave (very handy when we came back with ethnic goodies from Pittsburgh's Strip District). The hotel was also very quiet. I didn't hear traffic from the nearby freeway, planes from the nearby airport, or even people walking in the hallway! In the morning, the complementary breakfast was nice and easy; we had a choice of cereals, toast, bagels, donuts, cinnamon rolls, and sausage/cheese biscuit sandwiches.

All in all, we were quite satisifed, and would stay there again in a heartbeat.

• Liked — exceptional value for the price and excellent location
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Redbeard1969

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2007

I flew into Pittsburgh with a friend to see the St. Louis Cardinals play the Pittsburgh Pirates at PNC Park. Since it was a very quick trip, staying near the airport was not a problem. As a bonus, this hotel is actually on the way from the airport to downtown.

The hotel offers a free shuttle to and from the airport and then if you are going downtown and are not renting a car, a cab is about $20 each way into town. Since we were here only for one night, that was the best option for us. I would recommend either staying in town or renting a car if you are staying longer.

We arrived at the hotel early in the evening and were in a rush as we did not make it into Pittsburgh as early as we had planned. Check in was very fast, which was very much appreciated.

The room was very nice and it was a good size. It was very clean, as was the bathroom. The bathroom was pretty big. We had a view of the pool area, but the pool was closed already for the fall and winter. The beds were very comfortable and the pillows were not bad. They also had a choice of pillows in the room. The air conditioning worked great. When we returned to the hotel we asked for a wake up call and asked about the shuttle service and were advised that it starts running at 6am through midnight. This was a surprise as it was not stated on the Holiday Inn website where I booked the reservation. We had a 6 am flight and needed to leave for the airport earlier. I mentioned that the website did not specify times of the shuttle and they offered to pay for a cab because of this. I was impressed because they resolved the problem quickly. Also, while we had to wait for the cab to PNC park the night before, the cab was waiting for us at exactly the time we requested.

Check out was as quick as check in. Overall I was impressed with the service at the hotel and the employees. I would definitely stay here again for a quick overnight trip, but if staying longer would prefer to stay in town.

• Liked — Friendly service
  • Disliked — Can't think of anything
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends
2 Thank JetsetTX
Martin, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2007

Found a great deal on a two-room suite for just 5,000 points per night, and it was a great bargain.
The hotel is freshly rennovated, room was clean and spacious, friendly and helpful staff, plenty of shopping and dining nearby, etc.
The pool area was nice, and the grills helped us feel more at home with an afternoon bbq while stuck in town for business during Labor Day.
It's only about 15 minutes to Heinz field, so this would be a great place to stay for a Steelers game or Pitt home game. There's not much parking space for oversized vehicles, but the place was mostly empty during out stay, so there was ample room.
Only real negative is lack of TV channels.
I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2007
3 Thank Joker42
maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2007

I had a very positive experience at this hotel. This hotel has recently been renovated and the results are noteworthy. The hotel staff is very customer service friendly and by the second day, I was greeted by name. I stayed in a Double Queen suite for 3 nights. The room is extremely spacious with a wall separating the bedroom area from the living room area. The living room area consisted of a sofa, chair, work desk area, tv, fridge, microwave, coffee pot and sink area. The bedroom had a tv as well. Channel options are limited but the basics are there. The bathroom had the toilet and shower/tub in one area, and the vanity sink was outside of the door. Shower pressure was good and the shower head had 3 setting options. The room was spotless, felt very clean and comfortable. The maid service did not once knock on the door when the do not disturb sign was posted, and most mornings I did not depart until around Noon, so I was able to get the sleep and privacy I needed without interruption. However, each evening when I returned, the room was once again spotless, with the beds made and everything restocked. I commend the hotel on this, as each time I returned to the room it felt as if I was checking in for the first time into a fresh room. The beds and the linens on the beds were like sleeping on a bed of clouds. I know everyone has different preferences when it comes to bed comfort, but these beds were very comfortable. They even had pillows marked “firm” or “soft” so you could use the one more appropriate to your taste. The hotel has free high speed internet in the room and I never encountered any connection problems. I also observed other guests using the wireless access in the lobby area. The hotel offers complimentary continental breakfast in the mornings. The food service area was very clean and open with a nice presentation. Food options were simple but adequate to give you a jump start in the morning. Options included hot cinnamon rolls, muffins, boiled eggs, oatmeal packets, cereal, tea, & coffee. The dining area is really nice with a fireplace, tv, sitting area and business center all incorporated in the same area. Although I did not utilize the exercise room, pool, or sauna. I did inspect them all and these seemed very nice as well. The location of the hotel was ideal considering it was not located downtown. It only took about 10-15 minutes for me to get to any downtown location (with no traffic), as the hotel is right off of the highway. It sits primarily by itself so the area is very quiet, but at the same time the Robinson Mall is less than 5 min away, so you still have quick access to lots of shopping & restaurants. After seeing the locations of some of the other hotels I was considering during my trip planning, I am happy that I chose this Holiday Inn over the rest. I don’t have any serious negatives that would waiver my opinion of the hotel. A few things other travelers may want to know is that the bathroom had no venting, window, or fan, so airing out a steamy shower or bathroom smell aftermaths may take a little time. I had air freshener to help with this. Also, at one point there was a foul odor coming from the AC system in the bedroom, after inspecting the system there is a knob you can turn to close/open the vent to outside air. It was set to open, so after changing it to closed, the smell stopped and went away. Evidently something from the outside was coming in through the vent. A little common sense and awareness as a traveler allowed me figure out the problem without jumping to judge the hotel negatively and prevented an unwarranted complaint to the front desk. There was some slight confusion with regards to the use of priority club points when extending my stay, however the staff was diligent in their efforts with making sure the problem was solved and I encountered no problems when checking-out. This is a wonderful establishment, and I will definitely add this location to my Favorites list and be sure to return for any future trips to Pittsburgh. I commend the staff and management and only hope that they continue to keep up the good work.

• Liked — The bed was so comfortable
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with friends
5 Thank hisinc
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2007

This Holiday Inn Express is in the line of the newly designed HIE"s that are going in across the country. They are pretty equal to Courtyard's in terms of room conveniences, and design. I really, really like this style venue. I especially like the fact that the room has accessible plugs for the iron, that there are both wireless internet available and a pullout Cat-5 cable on the desk, and that there is a real coffeemaker in the room. The hotels that are going to those horrible brew one cup devices are not on my return list--hate those babies.

This particular HIE is a straight shot from the airport (about 10 miles) and another 10 miles straight into Pittsburgh. Have no idea what traffic is like here, but it's easily accessible although a bit difficult to get to initially (not a simple exit and there's the hotel). The layout is very nice, the staff is professional, and I'm sure it's at least the standard HIE breakfast.

There is a mall with at least one excellent restaurant (Adria's) within a mile and a nice 14 screen movie theater. There is van service from the airport, but you do have to schedule it and they will run the van every 30 minutes when they have folks who need transport.

• Liked — room, location and price
  • Disliked — ice machine two long hallways from my room
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank ChrystinP
Westminster, MD
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2007

If you're coming into town to visit downtown Pittsburg, you might want to book into the South Side HIE; the traffic is miserable going into downtown during commuter hours. Otherwise, this is a wonderful place to stay, quick on and off Route 279, lots of shopping close by, attentive staff and very nice rooms, clean & well appointed. I travel a lot and this is one of the nicest HIEs I've been in. Only complaint, no little fridge.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank nollysfolly
Bloomingburg, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2006

My son and I were in for a Steelers game (they beat the Bucs) and I booked it on Priceline.com for $35 a night. What a bargain! The hotel is completely remodeled: new carpets, shower & bathroom tile, etc. I had a King size bed, non smoking.
They included a free Hot & cold breakfast. It was only about 10 minutes from Downtown and right behind Robinsons Towne Center Shopping area. The only issue I had was that the heat. I could only have it on low or high. I woke up sweating. Other than that, no complaints.

• Liked — Cleanliness and value.
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family