“Foodie's Delight”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Baltimore, MD
“Foodie's Delight”
Reviewed April 27, 2013

This was our second visit to Salt of the Earth and we were just as impressed as the first time. The chef(s?) have an incredible and creative knack for combining flavors that is truly amazing. I, once again, had a red-meat dish and what a treat. Hanger steak with collards, bacon, and potato salad. I can't begin to describe the sauce, but it was amazing. The duck was also fantastic with a pea puree and several other flavors that I don't even remember. Dessert was incredible. The rhubarb/white chocolate and the chocolate with marshmallow -- wow!!
The point is that they change the menu seasonally (at least) and they do a great job.
We sat upstairs this time, which was a more genteel experience and enjoyable in a quieter way than the main floor - which has its own charm.
If you are in Pittsburgh, you must try Salt of the Earth.

• Visited April 2013

Cozumel, Mexico
“Food imagination”
Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

We had a great meal at Salt last weekend. The food combos are imaginative and artfully presented. It seems that tatooes are a required dress code item amongst the wait staff. Everyone was helpful and cheery even though it was very busy.

• Visited March 2013
Pittsburgh
“Exactly what an upscale restaurant should be!”
Reviewed April 5, 2013

My hubby and I visited this place last night and left overjoyed that we FINALLY found an upscale restaurant in Pgh whose hype wasn't bigger than what they were able to deliver! First of all, the atmosphere is great, they have something for everyone- if you don't mind the "community type seating" then you can sit downstairs, if you want something more private/romantic, you can make reservations for one of their balcony seats (which is what we did). Perhaps the thing I loved most about this place was that the upstairs "couple" seating didn't have you sitting close enough to touch the person next to you as so many other upscale restaurants do- thank you! The food was DELICIOUS- serisously, I've never had better Tartare, pork or prawns.

This place was absolutely perfect for what we were looking for, great, creative, gourmet food and an intimate/romantic atmosphere. I also loved that this place wasn't stuffy/upity as some other upscale restaurants can be- AND that they prepare all the food right in plain view- nothing to hide.

The only thing I would warn diners of is that the chef does seem to take liberty with his dishes- you kinda don't have a whole lot of an idea as to what you might be ordering which can be risky but honestly, the risk was worth it on each of our meals and appetizers!

YUM and YAY for a GREAT Pgh restaurant!

• Visited April 2013
“No bread in Salt”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

When going to this type of restarant it´s most important to know what you are getting into. This is not a standard restuarant. When one person in our party asked for bread with the dish, he was not given any. The food is specially prepared. Because the chef takes some liberties with the preperation of the food, the dishes are hit or miss. It can be very well prepared or just okay. My meal was okay, another person's food in my party had fantastic steak. Regardless of what food you get, the servings are small-medium and the entrees are priced on average 23 dollars. The atmosphere is pleasent and the waiters are nice. The drinks are fun and varied. They have vegeterian options. The refilled my water quickly and often as well. They have a small lot of parking. They take walkins on the first floor and if you come at the off times you won't have to wait.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank g-raterr
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“It Was An Experience”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

I like my visit here in January for son's birthday dinner...I have read the reviews and can feel the vibes of varying expectations as our groups verdict was varied. We were seated upstairs and it was more private than the group seating on the long tables with benches below. I like the music running on the sound system but did not like the menu on a large chalkboard where we had to stand in front of it to see it -I can understand saving on paper and printing as the menu varies but maybe a few small chalkboards with entrees simply listed and the server can repeat the litany...We all ordered something different and just remember that i was glad I ordered the duck (I loved it) and someone else ordered the lamb and they loved it too...the tofu dish received a "okay" verdict. Nice wine list. Again, mixed overall reviews on atmosphere...hubby thought it pretentious and as we left, the place was really crowded (in the bench seats) and people of all ages were conversing and eating...if we go back, I want to be here on "the ground" with the masses. I think it is worth trying for the experience (and the duck!)...anything that gives a group critique conversation is an experience in itself.

• Visited January 2013