“Great food and wonderful service”
Review of Salt of the Earth - CLOSED

Salt of the Earth
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 19, 2012

We had a very nice dinner for two at Salt. The staff was extremely attentive and helpful, offering explanations of any menu items that we wanted more details about. We had one cocktail each. Both were inventive and tasted wonderful. For starters, we shared the chicken liver. It was probably my favorite dish of the entire meal....all of the flavors from each ingredient stood out and worked wonderfully together to create a lovely, balanced dish. For mains, we had the duck and the scallops. Again, the flavors were pleasant and harmonius. Portion sizes are reasonable, but clearly intended as part of a two/three course meal. If you are hungry, do not expect to be full after eating just a main dish. For dessert, we had the chocolate and the apple dishes. They were both very interesting and unique. Though, I would only recommend the celery sorbet for those who really love celery!

There are newer reviews for Salt of the Earth

Reviewed October 19, 2012

I am a country dweller and do not often dine out in the city. On the rare occasions that I do, I like for the experience to be exceptional and memorable. Salt of the Earth (NaCl) is first rate on both counts. The cuisine is novel, honest, expertly prepared and beautifully presented. Having dined there only twice, my favorite dishes thus far are an exquisite lamb tartar (starter), subtle, slightly piquant and delicately laced with pink peppercorns, and a perfectly cooked duck breast (entree). Flavor pairings (seasonings, vegetable purees and sauces) are creatively conceived and straightforward.

I would characterize the ambience at Salt as young, vibrant and energetic. Service is casually efficient, and the wait staff is well versed regarding the day's offerings. The main dining area is laid out with long refectory-like tables, shared with other diners. Guests are seated on heavy wood backless benches. The overall look and feel of the space expresses a "minimal" aesthetic. I must admit that the shared tables and benches are not to my taste (thus the not quite perfect rating). Alternate seating is available, apparently, on the second floor, but only by reservation. For my next visit, I intend to exercise that option. Tasting menus are also available at separate seating adjacent to the kitchen.

I highly recommend Salt, especially to anyone who is seeking an imaginative alternative to traditional fine dining. A realistic cost estimate per person, including starter, entree, drinks and gratuity, should be in the range of $50 to $75.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

First visit and I fell in love. The experience was first class all the way. We showed up without a reservation and the hostess was empathetic but told us we may have an hour wait. Since we really wanted to try this place, we were willing to wait; and were well rewarded. We had originally wanted to sit at the tables but one of the hostesses recommended we try the kitchen seating since a spot opened up within a short time. I highly recommend this option.

Sitting next to the kitchen gave us an opportunity to see the staff working up close and the food they were preparing. We were amazed at how fluid and efficient the staff was in the tight quarters; nary a spilled item nor a bumped elbow - Poetry in motion.

Based on the visuals and smell, we chose our entrees and were not disappointed. Food was prepared perfectly and presented elegantly. The taste met all expectations and we were sated at the end of the night.

I can go on, but suffice to say go try it at your earliest convenience.

Reviewed August 21, 2012

Salt offers a tasting menu Mon-Wed with seating at the kitchen bar. Choice are 5 or 8 course, with optional drink pairings. We went for the full boat, 8 course with drinks, and had a marvelous time. Dinner took about 3 hours, and was nicely paced. There were a few times I wondered when the next food was going to show, but I was quickly distracted either by conversation or getting to watch the kitchen staff work from a literal front-row seat. The tasting menu is not inexpensive by any means, but allowed us to fully experience the best the restaurant had to offer.

Amuse: scallop, radish, chie, olive oil, lemon
Soup: canteloupe broth, melon, mint, oregano, jalapeno
nectarine, lardo, cress, correl, cucumber
foie gras, fig, fried garlic, pink peppercorn, balsamic vinegar
Fish: black bass, uni, potato, carrot, basil
meat: lamb, beet, musroom, beets, black garlic
cheese: blue cheese, plum, honey, cocoa, celery
dessert: peach, chocolate, hazelnut, pound cake

I was able to handle all the details via email, which was great!

Reviewed August 9, 2012

I am pretty jaded about restaurants, but this took my breath away. The dishes were different, but intelligently prepared with flavor mixes that were really unique. The Rib-Eye steak with mushrooms was fantastic -- and I am very picky about steaks. The cut was great and the sauce with the mushrooms and zucchini really added to the taste. The pork loin was awesome as well. The tomato and peach appetizers really demonstrated the chef's creativity and ability to bring together unusual flavor matches in very tasty ways. We sat downstairs, which is a little louder and looks like it can get kind of crowded, but we felt it added to the Bohemian experience. The wine list was not extensive, but worked well for us (a Duoro for $36).

1  Thank rugbyroadster