“Stunning”

Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 9, 2012

I am pretty jaded about restaurants, but this took my breath away. The dishes were different, but intelligently prepared with flavor mixes that were really unique. The Rib-Eye steak with mushrooms was fantastic -- and I am very picky about steaks. The cut was great and the sauce with the mushrooms and zucchini really added to the taste. The pork loin was awesome as well. The tomato and peach appetizers really demonstrated the chef's creativity and ability to bring together unusual flavor matches in very tasty ways. We sat downstairs, which is a little louder and looks like it can get kind of crowded, but we felt it added to the Bohemian experience. The wine list was not extensive, but worked well for us (a Duoro for $36).

1  Thank rugbyroadster

Reviewed July 14, 2012

We visited Salt in May - we chose to make a reservation so we could sit upstairs in the mezzanine. The space is a great blend of new style but retains some of the original architectural window details. It's nice to have the local brewery options on-tap: especially East End's bootstrap stout. We tried the risotto to start. The pork and chicken were excellent - desconstructed in presentation but a good blend of flavors. The mini-pickle was a bit unexpected but worked well with the pork. My wife and I split the strawberries and oatmeal cream served with granola (see picture). Good place for dinner with friends or with a significant other if you plan ahead with reservations; otherwise, the communal seating downstairs, though fun, could be less intimate. Parking on the street is ample, though, the neighborhood is on the fringe in an continually evolving area.

Reviewed July 11, 2012

Odd location in a bit of a challenging area. Got there at 630 and was told the upstairs private areas were booked solid so we ate downstairs at the communal tables. Drinks, one brand of vodka that is awful, bourbon same, wines--not a good selection. Apps brutally small and what is the fetish with peaches? Salmon was small and overcooked, came with tatertots that looked like came out of the freezer. Scallop came three to the plate--for a main course, the chef should be "chopped."

I don't get this place at all and do not recommend.

1  Thank kiddogo
Reviewed July 2, 2012

Went here based on highly rated reviews but was disappointed. The food was overrated and the only way I could describe the atmosphere is, "trying too hard to be cool and trendy". The only menus are on the wall, which was hard to read, especially if you're seated upstairs and have to read the smaller menu (I was in other peoples space and practically on the ground trying to read it.)

Overall this place was okay but kind of unnecessarily pretentious. The food was mediocre and under flavored. Not really worth the time it takes to get so far out there as it's located far away from everything.

Reviewed June 3, 2012

I have eaten here several times and have always enjoyed it. If you like fresh seasonal dishes, original pairings, fabulous wine and cocktail selections, and a great lively (but not too loud) atmosphere, you will too. Has a great urban vibe. Staff knowledgeable and helpful, none of that " it's all my favorite!". Our go-to dining out experience in pittsburgh