“Not to be missed...”

Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations, Waitstaff
State College, Pennsylvania
“Not to be missed...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2012

First of all, they had no Chardonnay and had listed on the board a number of interesting but obscure white wines. Secondly, they do not serve bread--which was unbelievable to me. Thirdly, I didn't think I would enjoy sitting so close to the tatooed chefs--the seating at the counter faced them--but it was all fabulous and our three appetizers were the most delicious dishes I ever tasted. The octopus, the oysters and the gnocchi were incomparable. Can't wait to go back for an entree--though I may have to BYOBread.

• Visited February 2012

Houston, Texas
“Exciting combinations of flavors, unique dining experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2012

Everything about this place is thoughtful, from the set-up of the dining room, the artistic floral arrangements, and the menu on a giant wall chalkboard, to the sleek staff attire and the dishes offered. This a definitely a unique dining experience for Pittsburgh, one that is not for everyone, but certainly for anyone who appreciates that food is not just for feeling full after a meal... This is one place that does seem to take aesthetics and seasonality into account when preparing the menu. While it is on the pricey side (again, for Pittsburgh), I think the food is worth it. I had an amazing beet salad, scallops with a very tasty puree (I can't remember now what was in it, but the flavoring was spot on, and the scallops themselves were not the best I've had, but quite good), served with a wonderful California red wine blend that was recommended to me while I waited at the bar for my guest to arrive. I do think that the wine mark-up, however, is a bit shocking... but, you can be introduced to a great wine here at $12/glass, just remember it and find it at the store for $12-$20/bottle!

• Visited November 2011
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Do not eat here if you're narrow minded about food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2012

Definitely unique table setting. We sat with other people at a long table, but seeing the eclectic menu was amazing. They support local farmers and the servings are not overwhelming. French press coffee with the best dessert was definitely a nice touch.

• Visited December 2011
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Love it or Hate it...overall assessment...the later”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2012

Proud to admit, I am a foodie and love trying new restaurants with adventurous delectibles.. SALT stretches beyond adventure to disgusting with some items. The beet salad was the best part of the meal. It was superb. Delicate,sweet roasted beets with a textured frisee drizzled with an exceptional truffle vinaigrette. The server took great delight in pointing out the perfectly poached egg that jiggled atop the frisee. I was able to push it wastefully aside without guilt prepared to move on to other wonders. The duck entree was less flexible...it arrived rare - and was gummy. My companion had the hanger steak which while better than the duck, was overwhelmed with sauce. Keep the brocolli Kimchie buried; it was brutal. I can say the french press coffee was aromatic and flavorful. The deserts were fun, but I wouldnt order any of them again. Overall, save your money and go to Habitat or Casbah.

• Visited March 2012
2 Thank starz1343
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“TripAdvisor said it was #1 in Pittsburgh.... I can see why”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2012

I have to say that I have searched and read MANY reviews on many restaurants...
and since I had to be in Pittsburgh for work. I wanted to go somewhere special for my boyfriends birthday (Feb 20).

Its always hard taking a chance on a place you don't know, especially when your not from that city or know anyone in that city to direct you. So I took a chance..... (and to be honest, I took a chance based on all the reviews I read on tripadvisor.com)

Great. Great. Great. Great Place. Its not typical, but it is an experience. Food was AMAZING!!! and the servers are attentive and knowledgable. This is definitely a must see and try place.....

The reviews are TRUE on this place!!!

• Visited February 2012