“OMG is this Chelsea or Pittsburgh?”
Review of Salt of the Earth - CLOSED

Salt of the Earth
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed December 11, 2011

Let me start by saying I live in Pittsburgh, and work in the service industry. My friends and I were looking for a new experience and I saw that Salt was rated #1 on TripAdvisor and I see why. They have upstairs private seating if you call ahead and make a reservation you may be able to get in, but we sat downstairs. The main level has a school like cafeteria style seating but with a modern Chelsea, NY feel to it. If you do not know what I mean by Chelsea, let's say Walnut St. There are no menus just a chalk board that tells you everything you need to know. I ventured out and tried the Octopus it was absolutely amazing. For dinner I had Duck - Parsnie Haluski, Pomegranate Apple Butter, Brussels, my brother had Hanger Steak - Broccoli Kimchi, Wild Rice Porridge, Ginger, and my other friend had Pork Loin- Farro, Cranberry (it comes with mushroom’s be she doesn’t like them) Everything was cooked to perfection a feast to fit for a king. For dessert I tried the Apple Crisp, which was hot apple with, granola and ice cream it was suburb. We will be back and I haven’t stop telling people about it. Excellent service, with Excellent food, and Décor .

3  Thank Gladys B

Reviewed December 3, 2011

It has quickly become the place to go whenever we have guests in town. The atmosphere is unpretentious, with their little stool chairs and low cut tables. It is top notch cuisine in a great communal row seating style. You feel like you belong to something when you are there.. The menu of the day is on the wall, and you can watch the chefs work their magic as the kitchen is in the main dining area. If you're lucky, you'll get front row seating at the bar overlooking the kitchen. You cannot reserve seating on the main floor, only on the upper level away from all the action (i'm assuming for a more intimate dining experience). The food is memorable and definitely great topics of conversation for the table to taste and share! You can't keep your forks from wandering! Everything is mouthwatering.

1  Thank Ashley K
Reviewed November 10, 2011

Wow! What a fantastic meal we had at Salt of the Earth. There were 8 of us and each of us loved our meals. The restaurant is located in a transitional neighborhood that is up-and-coming. It's easy to drive by the place and not notice that it's a restaurant. Inside, it has a hip, modern look and feel. The wait staff is likewise hip and friendly. The clientele seemed to be mostly young professionals and younger families. The menu was impressively quirky and inventive. Everything we had was delectable. We will definitely return in the future. This is without doubt one of the best restaurants in town.

1  Thank PAsunshine90
Reviewed November 7, 2011

We were visiting our daughter and her fiance in Pittsburgh and they recommended this restaurant. Everything is locally grown. We all had different entrees and shared a couple of appetizers and desserts. Everything was amazing. The combinations are exquisite. The chefs obviously are passionate about what they do. It was expensive, but worth it--not a meal I will forget. I had the squab someone above mentioned, and it was wonderful. The seating style might not be my first choice, but it works, especially because there are so many people waiting to be seated and everyone seemed happy.

Reviewed November 2, 2011

Dined at the communal tables with the family. Great atmosphere. The menu was varied and we tasted nearly everything on the board. Not a single bad plate. The upstairs looked veryintimate, but I recommend seating in the main room instead. The kitchen is literally a few feet away from every seat, so the views of the behind scenes action can be had by all. Trendy but quaint, overt yet sublime. Nothing left to be said of an already established sleeping giant in 'burgh.