“amazing food but BYOB”

Neighborhood: Downtown
Danbury
“amazing food but BYOB”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

BYOB or BYOW, regardless it was delicious. Fresh sushi, sashimi and great apps, The Chilean sea bass was fantastic. Would totally go back- if you eat fish- its a must!

Visited August 2013

Tallahassee
“Fish Market plus Restaurant”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We had a great lunch here. There are fish sandwiches and tacos, as well a sushi. Everything was tasty, and the atmosphere is noisy and lively.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank fourellen
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“What a find!”
Reviewed April 28, 2013

I have had the pleasure of eating lunch at Penn Avenue Fish Company's other location in the Strip District and decided to give the Downtown location a try for dinner. The restaurant is very small -- very small. Tables are close together and there is limited privacy. However, don't let this deter you...I am not a big fish person and was hoping I would be able to order something based with Shrimp or Crab. The menu contained neither...I asked the waitress if I could order off the menu and perhaps get 8 grilled shrimp and some veggies. She informed me they didn't have shrimp...Odd, but ok..There were no entrees on the menu that I liked so I ordered the Dockside salad, minus the cavier, and the poached lobster appetizer. I will tell you both were very good. The salad came with a blackberry based salad dressing and the greens were very fresh. The lobster was outstanding -- they should consider making the portion larger and presenting it as an entrée. It was served with grilled asparagus and leeks. It had a hint of fennel or anise to it -- yummy!! My significant other order sushi as a starter then the Halibut entrée. The Halibut was a rather large fillet that appeared to be blackened, it came in a brother with rice noodles. As stated, I am not a fish person but I did try the Halibut and it was very good. Mild taste and was so tender we could barely get it on the fork...For dessert we had the lemon cream brulee....This was the most disappointing part of the meal. It had good taste but the temperature was inconsistent thru out the serving and the sugar was over cooked -- it was more than browned, it was fried. I would say dessert is not their specialty. A few other notes...If you are a sushi person, they have a vast selection. My significant other was impressed with the sushi menu. In addition this place is a BYOB...And EVERYONE was bringing their OB. Great, GREAT feature...I must rather prefer this than being gouged for a $15 bottle of wine...The corkage fee was a very affordable $5.00. They open for dinner at 6pm, I tried to call around 2pm for a reservation. I had to leave a message -- however, they did return my call and was able to accommodate our request. Reservations are highly recommended -- seating is very very limited. I would recommend both locations -- the strip and downtown. The strip location is a fish market that offers lunch, downtown is a restaurant. Both offer great quality -- a little pricey, but worth it! Don't forget to pack a bottle of wine or two for the BYOB!

• Visited April 2013
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“The best Sushi downtown”
Reviewed March 11, 2013

My coworker and I come here regularly because we enjoy their sushi immensely. We rave about it afterwards for about a half an hour. It always tastes fresh and delicious. I can't give it a 5 star because at lunch they get very busy and they won't open their downstairs to accommodate the extra diners, so my coworker and I have to get ours to go. She even wanted to have her 10 year work anniversary lunch here and we discussed it with the head waitress and we just couldn't get her to work with us. Oh well, no hard feelings. We still enjoy it when we can.

• Visited March 2013
PA
“An off-night”
Reviewed March 1, 2013

Normally, Penn Ave Fish Company is a great place for seafood lovers.....as long as the server is on top of process and doesn't have a "system failure" that causes your ticket to become lost. It took a while to get our food--long after people seated after us received their food--and with little apology or concern. That would have been tolerable had our drinks been refreshed. Overall, a disappointing experience at PAFC, but this is the first time this has happened in our several visits to this restaurant.

• Visited March 2013