“Fresh Food, Great Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Ciao! 2 An Italian Cafe - CLOSED

Ciao! 2 An Italian Cafe
Cuisines: Italian
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Campbells Run Road
Description: Ciao 2!'s is now the fourth generation of a traditional Italian trattoria! We are a special combination of style and substance, a restaurant known for its craft beers, boutique wines, and classic Italian cuisine! Chef Sabrina, a native Pittsburger, carefully sources local produce and food stuffs whenever possible. Our chef has created brunch, lunch, and dinner menus as delicious tributes to the classic trattoria fashion! This being Pittsburgh, it is only reasonable that Ciao2! pays loving attention the liquid side of things. Signature cocktails such as the Tuscan Sour and the Lemoncello martini, are served along side classics like the Ciao2! Manhattan and the Aviation. Several beers are on tap and Nick has created a varied and unique wine list! Ciao2! An Italian Cafe', a salute to classical regional Italian cuisine!
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Fresh Food, Great Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

I came here with my boyfriend--and to be more specific, we don't know the owner or anyone who works here and we're average-income young professionals. We sat at the bar because most of the restaurant seating requires reservations and we didn't know to place one. The owner of the restaurant was our server and he was fantastic! He knows his food VERY well and made excellent recommendations. He treated us fairly and was a delight, truly.
Our drinks were so refreshing and authentic and the food was incredibly fresh. In fact, it all looked and sounded so good that it was hard to select something--and when we finally did--we were THRILLED with the presentation and the taste. WOW.
He had a pizza--the evening's special--and I had rigatoni with homemade meatballs and sausage. The meatballs were tender and the sauce was out of this world.
It is above average in price--but you get what you paid for here. Almost everything on the menu is listed with imported or made daily ingredients.
We cannot wait to come back here! My advice though: MAKE RESERVATIONS! It's a tiny place and seating is extremely limited!

• Visited February 2013

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
“If you're not a regular or friend, good luck getting service!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

My daughter and I had an impromptu date night so we ended up in Robinson looking for dinner after going grocery shopping at the Giant Eagle.

We ended up there mostly because of the neon sign announcing that they are the home of the famous tomato basil sauce. Clever marketing - it got us through the door!

I ordered the Veal Marsala. This was just so disappointing. It was breaded quite a bit with not a lot of the "Marsala wine reduction" promised in the menu. Or perhaps the reduction was just so effective that it was non-existent. I tried to ask my server but she was just nowhere to be found. Considering that this is one of the more expensive items on the menu, it just didn't deliver. Veal was bland, over breaded, not sauced and pasta was just a bit mushy. And sadly, the tomato basil sauce was just so-so. Such a bummer since the neon sign announcing the sauce was what got us into this place for dinner! Note to self: never trust neon signs unless it just says "OPEN."

I had a glass of wine with my entree - a Nebbiolo suggested by the manager (maybe owner, too?). I didn't know that it would be just as much as my entree. The wine went well with my entree, but it just ballooned my dinner check.

I think in order to get really good service, you must be a regular customer. Most of the tables there on the Saturday night we were there were known by our server. The other customers were so well known that she was engaged in so much catching up that it was tough getting our order in, drink refills, requesting our check, then once the check arrived getting her to get my credit card processed.

With food and service on our first visit scoring so poorly in my book, there's not much reason to go back. It also didn't help that it wasn't a cheap meal.

• Visited February 2012
Pittsburgh
“Caio! Never Again...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

So, I reviewed this place in November 2011. That was my 2nd bad experience in this place. I cannot imagine how I was duped by some friends into going again, but, alas, I was. I planned to just sip some wine and maybe an appetizer and let them find out for themselves that this place isn't all that great, and that's exactly what happened. To begin with, the owner is rude. You will find him there most days seating customers and generally snubbing those whom he feels dont fit into the upscale clientele he is obviously hoping to attract. (Food Fact Alert! Upscale Clientele dont frequent strip malls for thier fine dining needs, and, they dont like to overpay for lousy food either! ). So, the food is still lousy, still over-cooked, still over- sauced, still over-capered, and still over priced for this area. You will get a better dinner at a better price at one of the chains like Olive Garden located nearby. Sorry Caio, 3 strikes and you're out!.

• Visited October 2012
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012 via mobile

If you enjoy Italian food and are in the robinson area good place to stop at. The appetizer were very good!

Stanford, KY
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Rather Have Olive Garden or Prego...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2012

My experience was absolutely horrible...When I arrived, I had a very pleasant waiter. He was very attentive, went over all the specials for the evening, etc. I ordered the calimari and a glass of wine. I drank my wine and my calimari was OK, just OK. Not great, like I was hoping for in an 'authentic' Italian restaurant, right? So, it was like batter dipped...It was just weird. I've eaten a lot of calimari, and theirs just wasn't that good..So, then onto the salad. I'm telling you, you could go to any grocery store, buy a bag of 'salad' mix, add a tomato, and you'd have their 'salad'...So, I ordered the chicken parm. I waited about 30 minutes on it. I finally just gave up and left. The owner was very rude and just a snob. They weren't even busy. I was the only one there....explain the delay, please...

• Visited August 2012