“True Italian!”

Colangelo's Bakery
Ranked #7 of 40 Bakeries in Pittsburgh
Cuisines: Italian
Reviewed August 16, 2014

We stopped here on a whim one morning while on vacation and were very happy we did! The place really brought back memories from when I was a kid and would go to the bakery with my mom. As always, the little hole-in-the-wall place had probably the best things in it. We stopped in to grab a couple of breakfast pastries (an apple "mele" for me - I found the humor int he redundancy- and a breakfast "sandwich" for my wife. Both were terrific and freshly made.

A couple of extra biscotti made it into my pocket for later.

My only regret is that we found this place on our last morning while in town - would have loved to have gone back from lunch or dinner.

Reviewed August 2, 2014

We went to this establishment as part of a walking food tour of the Strip District. We were each given a Mele of our choice of flavor. I've never had one before, but it's a soft, flat pastry with a filling inside. My husband loved the Apple. I had an Almond one, also excellent. My daughter had a Raspberry one. The following day we returned to get more! They sell out fast, so if you're there, buy them when you see them. The shop is connected to a coffee shop. A good combo. A few tables outside you can sit and enjoy eating your purchase. Trip advisor wants me to rate this as a restaurant, but it's a Bakery. You go to the counter and pick out what you want. You can get things like a slice of Pizza. We got a slice, but it was the Mele that brought us back.

1  Thank Mocha4me
Reviewed July 22, 2014

This place is a must stop on the Strip District. It can lay claim to the best sfogliatelle pastry anywhere, not just Pittsburgh. the other pastries also well worth trying. As far as food, the must try items are the sausage panini, which is on awesome bread and includes a very high quality and tasting Parma Italian sausage. On Monday the pasta of the day is Bolognese sauce that is the best I have ever had and the pasta is cooked perfectly. The aglio olio pasta is simple but excellent. Well worth the stop on a nice day when you can sit out at a table by the street.

Reviewed May 19, 2014

We asked the docent at the Contemporary Craft Museum where she would be going to lunch ... and she said Colangelo's to have the Monday special - Pasta Bolognase. So we took her recommendation and headed that way. It's tucked away on a side street with no visible sign from the strip, but it's worth seeking out. There's very limited seating (two standing tables inside and two small tables on the sidewalk), but that didn't stop the line out the door by the time it reached noon. Perfect al dente pasta with fantastic sauce and a perfectly fresh slice of bread. I'm still dreaming of the fudgy Chocolate Crinkle Cookies ... amazing.

Reviewed August 6, 2012

If you stop for coffee at La Prima next door, you have to grab something from Colangelo's. The pastries are light, varied and the prices are very fair. It's great to have a latte and a treat and sit outside to enjoy all The Strip has to offer.