“Best View of Pittsburgh”
Review of Duquesne Incline

and up
Private Pittsburgh City Tour
Ranked #7 of 172 things to do in Pittsburgh
More attraction details
Owner description: Scale Mount Washington in one of two original 1877 cable cars for a fun and unique ride and a breathtaking view of the Pittsburgh skyline when you reach the top of the 400-foot incline. Parking available across the street from our lower station at 1197 West Carson Street.
Westerville, Ohio
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Best View of Pittsburgh”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Not only was the incline incredibly cheap ($2.50 one way), but the operators were very nice, they had a cute gift shop selection, and their overlook (which is free to enter, even if you didn't ride the incline) presents the best view of Pittsburgh. We visited the other overlooks along Grandview, but they weren't nearly as nice. Be sure to see the city view during the day and night; it's much more beautiful than the New York City skyline, even.

1 Thank cotidiano

• Korean first
Huntington, WV
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Interesting!”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

My husband and I ate at a restaurant on Mount Washington. We walked over to the incline building near the restaurant. there was so much interesting historical memorabilia there. I grew up in Washington, Pennsylvania and never saw this. I live in West Virginia and I am so glad to have finally visited this area.

Alpena, Michigan
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Well worth the money!”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Neat activity while in Pittsburgh. Kids enjoyed it, spend the extra 50 cents and check out the machinery in the self-guided tour. We had thoughts of eating on the top of the mountain but there wasn't much available. The view from the observation deck is amazing. The incline runs at night - if I had the chance we would do it again in the evening, can't imagine how cool it would look then. Total trip one way takes about five minutes once you are in the car and they leave every five minutes or so. Roundtrip is about $20 a family of four.

Toronto, Canada
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Past and present joyride”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Putting aside the history, the Duquesne Incline was undoubtedly the best way to the top of Mount Washington, and worth riding for that reason alone.

When you factor in the fantastic history - and the mini-museum at the top - this becomes an absolute can't miss.

I rode the Incline just as a means to an end (getting atop Mount Washington) and ended up enjoying the ride and history lesson almost as much as the views from the summit.

Sandusky, Ohio
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Terrific view after terrifying ride!”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I am deathly afraid of elevators so riding this funicular was quite a leap for me. The cost to ride this historic piece of Pittsburgh's history and present is very reasonable at $5 for a round trip. The staff was nice enough and getting in the car was simple enough to figure out. The entire trip up Mount Washington my eyes were down to the left looking for the descending car so I knew I was half way because I was terrified. I got to the top and the view from the observation deck was simply immaculate and made the trip very much worth it. The cars used may look familiar if you've ever watched Mr. Rogers Neighborhood.

With my paranoia about this 130+ year old contraption plunging me to my death I was seriously contemplating finding a different way down the slope, but rode down on the Incline and was terrified yet again. There are lots of bumps and leans and you can definitely feel all the years of use in the tracks, but I obviously made it down safely as I am here to write this review.

The top station has a reasonably priced gift shop, you can tour the mechanical room for an additional fifty cents and see an illustrated timeline of the Incline.

So I'm proud of myself for riding the Duquesne Incline, hopefully your experience will be just as exhilarating.

Visited June 2013