“Not Just a Hotel Restaurant”
Review of Habitat - CLOSED

Habitat
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 5th and Liberty
Description: Restaurant In Hotel Of Fairmont
Reviewed August 6, 2013

I usually don't do the hotel dining room, but I know that the higher end chains are trying to reverse that idea and this is the best example yet (outside Dubai). And it was late, and late-night dining on a Sunday night is difficult, so we decided to be easy. what a great decision. The server (Nathan) was perfect. The food was very good - it was lacking a little kick for the price, but the restaurant manager and the server were both really excellent.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

The servers are knowledgeable, personable and efficient. The space is actually quite handsome, done in an almost monochromatic palette with bursts of color. The large windows lend a feeling of spaciousness, which is complemented by the table placement—the tables are a good distance from one another.

The food was actually quite good, and beautifully presented. The only reason I've withheld one star is because of the menu itself—it would certainly be nice to see seasonal offerings, especially in the height of summer, rather than the standards that appear to be from an evergreen menu.

Otherwise, well done.

1  Thank Grady412
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Habitat serves some culinary delights. The servers are very knowledgeable and very attentive. The coffee is very good and so is the fresh squeezed orange juice.

Reviewed June 30, 2013

Disclaimer: I was raised in France with a dad/chef and I write cook books for a living...so my opinion might sound harsher than the average restaurant goer.

- Service: amazing. 3* Michelin level. I went to this restaurant two nights in a row to really get an in-depth experience and both time I got an amazing service, be it with Rajeev or the other waiter. These guys truly know the dishes inside out and can tell you how this duck is cooked and where those scallops come from.

- Bread is under par: chewy, cold, blend.

- I took the scallops on the first night and the walleye on the second night. The plating is excellent and really attractive. The taste would have been perfect but for the COOKED RADISHES that the chef seems to put in every single dish!!! This is how you can ruin an otherwise amazing dish. The walleye would have been 100% perfect without this hazardous addition.

- The smoked couscous seemed so attractive to me with its reduction of soy milk and chamomile, very novel.......the plating was terrible with the dish on one side of a black plate and some milk in the middle just "there". The couscous had obviously been cooked the day before or early the day of and I could see big lumps of grains on my plate. I only ate 2 forks and stopped. Terrible. Te plating was poor, the taste was bad at best.

- Desert-wise the lemon float and the peach cake were amazing (though the plating on the peach desert was quite simple and banal). However the oh-so-expected blueberry panacotta was very disappointing. Not because of the nice plating or of the textures/tastes but simply because some of the blueberries were way passed their "due date" and had this terrible taste which ruined the whole dish.

- Noise level: if you are lucky and no jazz band is playing downstairs you will be able to carry a conversation. If not, then too bad, you'd better love jazz (which I don't) and don't even try to propose on that night. She won't hear you! The noise level can truly ruin a nice dish.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

The Habitat continues to impress me and it is one of my favorite restaurants. Every meal I have had there has been freshly prepared and succulent. I highly recommend this restaurant to my friends and family