“Locally-sourced food”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 5th and Liberty
Description: restaurant in hotel of fairmont
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Locally-sourced food”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Overall, we really, really enjoyed our meal here.

I'm not going to comment too much on the food specifically, as I understand it was the last week for the particular menu we had, so that wouldn't be terribly useful for future visitors. However, I will say that everything I ate was perfectly executed, and the portions were generous. At this level of cooking, any criticism is just being nitpicky. We were able to taste most of the dessert menu - definitely save room!

The waitstaff was very well informed, helpful, and professional. We didn't sit very near to the kitchen, which was fine with me because I think it could have been a bit distracting. According to my Foursquare checkin, the frog water pitchers are for sale, though I didn't ask!

We ate here for dinner, I'd like to try it for lunch sometime, I'd be interested in comparing. Overall, I thought the value at this price level was really quite good and the food stands up to the other restaurants in Pittsburgh in its category.

• Visited October 2012

Flemington, NJ
“With a decent wine list this could be so much better”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Habitat is quite a departure from the typical meat and potatoes fare that nearly suffocates this town. But it is a welcome departure. Tasty, healthy food and a very pleasant environment. Good fish choices in a city short on that path. And human portions (although they are considered small in these parts) that leave you sated but not bloated. The wait staff tries a bit too hard and their knowledge is fairly superficial, but they are very attentive.

Now my one disappointment. The wine list does not do justice to the food, most notably the whites. With fish like the black cod and walleye and the way they are prepared they are screaming for a crisp Burgundian white. A Chablis or Pouilly-Fuisse would be fine - we don't need anything fancy, but the only Chards are the gooey oaky California varieties. I won't repeat what I was told about how decisions were made about what to put on the wine list, but lets just say it wasn't flattering to Pittsburghians.

But if you don't care so much about food and wine pairing, the food is fabulous and what's not to like? Just recognize that you come to Habitat for fine dining, not for chowing down.

Greensburg, Pennsylvania
“Service Great - Food Quality Poor”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

The Naan bread and beet salad were great. My wife ordered the halibut. It was undercooked with tons of bones. We sent the entree back and it was returned undercooked and actually quite raw. I ordered the lamb. It was so tough I could not cut into it or eat it. The manager was cordial in offering us a credit, but I see no reason why a restaurant with this reputation would serve meals like this. Totally unsatisfactory! Will absoluletly not return to this establishment. Despite the bad experience, the service was excellent.

North Wales, Pennsylvania
“Outstanding food and service”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We made reservations at 8:20pm for an 8:30pm reservation. When we arrived our table was ready and we were seated at 8:30pm.

The restuarant is on the second floor of the beautiful Fairmont Hotel which opened last year.

The restaurant is casually elegant and exudes a feeling of trendiness, but not to the point of being over the top.

Our server Gerry was outstanding. He was the consumate professional who knew the menu inside and out and made some great suggestions for appetizers, entrees and desserts.

All of Gerry's suggestions were perfect and everything we had was delicious.

Order the pork chop for dinner, it is huge and delicious and cooked perfectly.

Gerry was so attentive and friendly, we never had to ask for anything and he was truly one of the best waiters I have ever had.

This must be one of the best restaurants in Pittsburgh, if you have a chance make a reservation ahead of time and ask for Gerry.

The prices are very reasonable for what you get.

Cascais
“Beautifully presented and delicious meal”
Reviewed September 19, 2012

I love this restaurant, it's a very elegant space on the second floor of downtown's Fairmont Hotel, perfect for romance.

If you like, you can choose to be seated right across the open kitchen, where you could see everything that was going on in there.

The service and the food are wonderful -- far above what your expectations would be for a hotel restaurant.

Each dish was meticulously put together and plated. Excellent food!

It's pricey - but is a fair price for all you get.

• Visited August 2012