“Nice Place, Nice Atmosphere, Food is Not Bad”
Review of Spoon

Spoon
Reserve with OpenTable
Spoon is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #43 of 2,173 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Penn Circle
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Nice Place, Nice Atmosphere, Food is Not Bad”
Reviewed March 22, 2014

It's a very nice place in an up and coming neighborhood. The menu was eclectic. The portions were on the small side and the prices were on the higher side. However, I will say that when I left, I was not hungry. The bar is great and they have a great selection of good Bourbons and Scotch.

I had a celery root soup that was fantastic. I also had a dish called Chicken Trio I believe. It was very good. Chicken cooked three different ways and presented in different ways. Very creative. I'd go back and would recommend you try it.

• Visited February 2014

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“So-so food, but nice atmosphere”
Reviewed January 15, 2014

I suppose my title says it all, but here is some elucidation. Spoon is the kind of restaurant where the menu is hard to define, and is certainly ambitious. The prices are on the higher end and expectations are thus lofty as well. Unfortunately, and I must say we - a party of five - all tried different foods, and were all underwhelmed. The best part of the meal was the bread, a lovely basket of warm bread rolls, biscuits, and delicious pop-overs. The dish I had, the cod, was very bland, to the point that I, not the most accomplished of cooks, could certainly have done better. It was accompanied by a slightly weird potato salad, which felt inappropriate with a white fish. The desert, the Spoon bar, a chocolate concoction was quite tasty, though very heavy, so prepare to share:-)
I do want to say that the overall atmosphere of the place is pleasant and lively, though they do play music and the noise level may not be in some people's favor. It wasn't too loud for conversation though, so I didn't mind. Parking isn't so easy, as you can only park along the street unless you want to go the valet route.
Overall, it was a nice evening, but the main course left a lot to be desired.

• Visited January 2014
NY/NJ
“Wow, this was great, and unexpected”
Reviewed January 6, 2014

We arrived at Spoon, not really knowing much about the restaurant. I found the decor warm and inviting, and the staff as well. We decided upon the tasting menu and wine pairing. Each course was delicious and the wines were perfectly matched. The veal meatball, with polenta and truffles was exceptional, while I thought the chicken dish was a little bland and dry (compared to everything else). Overall, this was a truly wonderful meal, and one that makes you realize that Pittsburgh is really a foodie haven.

• Visited January 2014
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Example of a changing food city”
Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

Really great food and the service was fantastic, as well. Aside from my entree the bleu cheese soufflé and the duck confit were my favorite dishes. My partner lives across the street in a newly renovated apartment building in a neighborhood that just a few years ago was rather derelict. I personally think this restaurant (like Paris 66, Salt, Meat & Potatoes) are signs of a great turn around city wide. I graduated from Pitt in 07 & am now living in DC but writing a landscape architecture thesis on Pittsburgh so I personally love seeing this city grow.

Visited January 2013
Augusta, Georgia
“Great experience with friends”
Reviewed December 26, 2013 via mobile

I live locally, and I wanted to take my friends from out of town somewhere nice. We had great service and wonderful food. It's a little expensive compared to other restaurants in the the area, but still worth a visit on special occasions.

• Visited August 2013