“Wonderful stay”

SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Bakery Square
Ranked #33 of 72 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed August 2, 2014

I stayed at Springhill Suites because of classes at Chatham University. The hotel initially looks kinda small from the outside, but the rooms are large and comfy on the inside. It was only me and I got a room with two queen beds. There was a mini living room area with a large wrap around sofa, a small desk, an area for the mini refrigerator, microwave and even had a dish towel and paper plates and utensils. There are two bathrooms, one with a sink (hardly any counter space) and toilet and other with a larger sink, with counter space and the shower. In addition there is a mini walk in closet with blankets, dresser and place to hang clothes.
The view was not attractive, but did not stay in the room hardly at all. The beds were large and comfortable. The breakfast offered, had a variety of different foods for the healthy (boiled eggs, yogurt, granola, fruit) and the hearty (scrambled eggs, cheeses, meat, oatmeal and fixings-very nice side options- and drinks). The hotel personnel were very helpful with directions, keeping luggage after checkout and friendly. The fitness area is next door, but a ramp leads you right over to the LA Fitness facility which has a variety of machines, healthy drink bar etc. Restaurants within walking distance and close to main attractions. Nice family owned restaurants with authentic Mexican, pizza, Chinese on Centre Ave a block down from Target.
The only thing I did not like was that I had to pay for parking. I would highly recommend this hotel and would stay there again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: I would ask to stay on 2nd or above floors, not main floor. My classmate had a room on the first fl...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank PghCritic
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Bakery Square, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us. It is encouraging to hear that your stay was enjoyable; we work hard to provide a pleasant experience. Your kind comments are appreciated and we look forward to a return visit.

Reviewed August 1, 2014

What a great hotel in a great location. My son and I were pleasantly surprised when we arrived at the hotel. We were on a college visit tour and the hotel was a 10-minute cab ride to both U of Pittsburgh and Carneige Mellon. We also walked to a great breakfast place and burger joint and there are several places to grab a quick bite right next to the hotel. The decor is fresh, modern and clean. Every front desk employee we encountered was friendly and helpful. Loved the separate areas in the hotel room - desk and sofa area, mini-fridge and microwave (complete with utensils and paper plates), sleeping area and bathrooms. The attached parking garage is connected to the hotel via walkway and has unlimited in and out access for $15 one-time fee.

2  Thank LJWT

Dear LJWT,

Reviewed July 27, 2014

I've stayed in many hotels and this one takes the cake. From when I first called before I booked to find out if they would allow us to use the shuttle for an extra .2 miles to even after we had already checked out, Springhill Suites on Bakery Square in Pittsburgh exceeded all expectations and raised the bar for any hotel I stay in here on out. The hotel was very easy to locate and even though parking is $15 per night, it's very convenient and well worth the money. Attached to LA Fitness and Panera and across the street from Anthropologie and the cutest toy store (as well as Social and a few other stores we didn't check out) this hotel is more than accommodating. As soon as we arrived, the staff was extremely courteous and helpful.

The hotel lobby is gorgeous. Our room was just like all the other rooms pictured. Clean and simple, but lovely. We loved the fact that the shower was separate from the toilet. Especially with children that was definitely a treat and I think other hotels should look in to doing the same. The closet was large enough to fit all of our family's belongings (2 adults 2 children) and more for two nights. Mini fridge came in handy and the room also had a microwave, which we didn't use, but it was nice to know we had one if needed. The shower/water pressure was great. Often hotels seem to have low water pressure, but not this one. So we had a view of the roof, but what do you really expect when staying in the city?

The breakfast was really good! Juice, coffee, milk, cereal, fruit, sausage patties, eggs, waffles, bagels, muffins. The staff was very attentive so there was no running out of anything. They were very friendly and kept all areas clean at all times. I really appreciated that.

The staff in general were the nicest people I met during our entire stay in Pittsburgh. At 9:30 at night our daughters wanted to go swimming and there was only one towel left. Even though the pool was closing in an hour and a half and we could have easily gone up to our room to get towels to use, the manager brought some right down to us. So sweet. The front desk staff, cleaning service, management, breakfast, shuttle driver, anyone else I may have missed- These people alone make me want to come back! They were great. Great people to talk to, great people to help us. I loved all of them.

There are only two things that bothered me for about a millisecond in regards to this hotel. First, the bed itself is really not all that comfortable. I found it to be a bit hard, but much better than sleeping on the floor or couch. Plus, once I was asleep I was fine!
Also, I was surprised at how little and cold the pool was. I didn't get in because it was chilly, but my daughters didn't mind it a single bit and they had a blast jumping in and out!

All in all, you need to check this hotel out for yourself. Anytime I ever come to Pittsburgh for anything in the future, I will come back over and over. Keep up the amazing work!

1  Thank Kim K
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Bakery Square, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2014

Dear Kim K,

Our staff makes sincere hospitality their priority; I glad you enjoyed our welcoming associates and fun location. Detailed reflections like yours allow us to monitor and improve our guest experience. Thank you for your time in reviewing your stay, and I’m glad you found us to be the greatest hotel ever!

Reviewed July 22, 2014

The hotel itself is nice and clean and spacious - but maybe about what you might expect for the price. There was a good selection of items for breakfast. Other additional positives include the location (near many attractions), quiet rooms, and free access to LA fitness for workouts/swimming.

Now the negatives. There is a complimentary shuttle within 3 miles, but the staff only allows 1 group per trip, even though the shuttle is large and accommodates many people. When we checked in at 5pm, we were unable to reserve a shuttle for any time remotely close to our 8am appointment the next morning.

My next beef with the staff is on check out time. My transmission died on a Saturday night, and Sunday morning I was scrambling to get it towed to a transmission place, find an open car rental, etc. I requested the checkout be moved from noon to 2 or 3 pm. The staff said that that the latest they could do was 1pm, and I should be happy with that, as normally on gold/platinum customers are allowed late checkout. I was barely able to get everything done in time to check us out by 1pm, and this certainly added stress to an already stressful morning.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Bakery Square, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2014

I appreciate you acknowledging our spacious clean rooms and ample breakfast even though our service was not up to the standards our guests have come to expect. Please forgive us for adding additional stress; your comfort is very important to us. Your comments challenge improvement for future stays. We invite you back with sincerity for a better experience.

Reviewed July 16, 2014

we came for a wedding and we really enjoyed the hotel. very clean, nice part of town, and the staff was very friendly. I apparently need two hundred characters for the review to be submitted so now I have 209.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Bakery Square, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2014

Dear Michael F,

We are delighted to hear of the comfort you experienced at our hotel. Our associates are the key to providing our guests with a satisfying stay. I appreciate your kind remarks.

Reviewed July 6, 2014

We were in town to see the Phillies play the Pirates (2 games). We stayed 2 nights and this hotel was perfect for our stay. We had two rooms on 5th floor and both were spacious and clean and modern.

Great air conditioner and quiet
Quiet room
Friendly and helpful front desk staff
They helped print us directions to and from the park
Panera is just steps away
Very small indoor pool but if you are 14 and over, you can use the pool inside the LA fitness
Parking very easy (parking garage)
Breakfast included which was an assortment of cereals, juices, bagels, toasts, make your own Belgium waffle, fruit, coffee, scrambled eggs and sausage patties.
The only problem with the breakfast is that there aren't that many tables and seats and people seemed to reserve them.
The rooms have a microwave and a small fridge
The rooms have one room with the shower and a sink and another room with a toilet and a small sink, a small living room space with sofa and a desk and chair. We had 2 queens.
Great place to stay but you must know you have to drive into town from there, not much within walking distance.
Parking near the field cost us $5 and a very short walk over the bridge to the game, so easy!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Bakery Square, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2014

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience. We are glad you stayed with us and appreciate your business. I am happy to hear you enjoyed our quiet room, ample breakfast, helpful staff and convenient location. Along with providing us with areas of opportunity, your feedback serves as encouragement to our associates. We hope to see you again soon.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed July 5, 2014

My new favorite when in Pittsburgh. It's clean, the layout of the room is comfortable, there is plenty of space to work and a wide variety of electrical outlets for just about any need. I use a CPAP machine and use my iPad for an alarm clock, and there were two outlets where I needed them. I liked having the commode and sink/shower split. Having a reciprocal with LAFitness is a plus, great workout facility. It may not be convenient to an interstate or downtown, but it's not that far out of the way.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Bakery Square, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2014

Dear Henry S,

Our associates understand and believe that our valued guests deserve an exceptional stay and we will continue to push daily to find new ways to WOW our guests. I will be sure to share your very nice comments regarding our spacious and clean rooms with ample electrical outlets with our team; they work hard to ensure guests feel at home. I appreciate you taking the time to share your kind feedback and we hope to see you again soon.