“Will not be my first choise”

SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Bakery Square
Ranked #31 of 71 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Trophy Club, Texas, USA
“Will not be my first choise”
Reviewed November 16, 2012

While this is not a bad hotel, the staff needs to be taken to task for their poor attention to their jobs. Let me share the last hour of my two day stay. I went to the front desk to ask for skin lotion as the maid had left two conditioner bottles instead of shampoo, conditioner and lotion. The desk was not attended at 7:30 am, but she eventually appeared and gave me two bottles - one lotion and one shampoo. Then I ate breakfast (a nice selection by the way) and the attendant was never to be seen. After breakfast, I returned to the front desk to mention that both trash bins were overflowing, but it was not attended and I had to wait until she appeared. As I passed by the front desk to drop off my keys, once again it was empty and two (non-housekeeping or maintenaince) statff members passed by me on their way to the back rooms.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
ConcordHospitality, Manager at SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Bakery Square, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Millersville,
Thank you for your review. We appreciate you choosing to stay with us at SpringHill Suites. I'm grateful for your feedback and have read your review in its entirety. I apologize for our service not being at its highest level during your stay. Your comments will be reviewed in our next staff meeting as we will reinforce our customer service excellence. While it is uncertain as to why there were absent staff members at the time or your stay, I can assure you that this is not typical of our hotel. We hope you'll visit us again, and we hope to provide a more positive experience and a greater attention to our guests.
Justin Blair, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Came to Pittsburgh for a one night stay. Needed a hotel that was close to my event. Stumbled across this hotel and I was pleased. The area was perfect. It sits within a shopping area. A few stores, restaurants and coffee shop. Also a really nice gym! Parking garage is attached to the hotel and the gym can also be accessed from indoors.
The lobby area was very modern. Breakfast area and a bar. The front desk staff was very friendly. They even forgave me for being a Cleveland Browns fan. LOL.
I must say that the room exceeded my expectations. Very comfortable. Separate seating area. Nice desk and coffee station. Comfortable bed. My only regret is that since I checked in so late I didn't have enough time to really enjoy the room!

• Stayed November 2012
ConcordHospitality, Manager at SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Bakery Square, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
kaycherie,

Thank you for taking a moment and writing a review about your stay with us at SpringHill Suites. We're delighted to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us and enjoyed our surrounding area as well. I'm glad you were able to utilize our fitness center and enjoy our delicious breakfast buffet. We hope you will have another opportunity to visit with us, and we hope it will be for a longer stay.
home
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We have been here several times and have not been disappointed.
We love the daily breakfast (hot and cold) and access to neighboring gym (now owned by LA Fitness). Both are complimentary. The rooms are clean, and attractively appointed. Now they have a Panera downstairs too!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, Manager at SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Bakery Square, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
markclan,
Thank you for writing a review and letting us know of your pleasant stay with us. We're delighted to hear that you're a regular guest of ours, and we're glad you always enjoy your visits. I'm pleased to know you like our LA Fitness gym as well as our breakfast buffet. And yes, we have Panera Bread downstairs! We hope your future travels will bring you back to the Pittsburgh area and you'll come and stay with us again.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

We have stayed here several times before. We live in Pittsburgh and use this as a "stay cation" sometime with our son and as a couple. It's a beautiful property with large, comfortable rooms. there is a bar in the lobby, breakfast is comp and always good. Pools, fitness center, shops are all connected in Bakery Square. The Coffee Tree Roasters have the best coffee ever. Down the road is a Trader Joes, Whole Foods, Target and some great restaurants in Penn Circle and Ellsworth Ave. It's always a nice getaway for us. We will be back.

• Stayed November 2012
loribob67,
Thank you for your review, and thank you for making us your getaway hotel. We're delighted to know that you enjoy our hotel, staff, and surrounding area. We hope you'll return to Bakery Square for another enjoyable weekend, and we look forward to your next visit.
Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 30, 2012

I was supposed to stay at Springhill Suites Bakery Square for three days for a training conference in nearby Shadyside. Half way through the first day of the training, we were informed the rest of the conference would be cancelled because of Hurricane Sandy. Springhill suites was very understanding, and only charged me for the first night I had spent there, even though I didn't check out until 2pm my second day. I will definitely stay here again when I return for my rescheduled training conference.

My room was very clean and neat. I loved the soft bed, though fans of firm mattresses may not find it to their taste. It was nice to be able to relax on the sofa with my laptop. The wireless internet was fast and easy to connect to. My room was on the second floor, but I didn't hear any traffic noise. I think I would have liked a room on a higher level simply so I had a better view. My room overlooked a bus depot. The Panera Bread on the first floor is very convenient and even delivers to your room with a minimum purchase. I didn't have a chance to use the attached Urban Fitness, but it looked like a very nice facility.

My only complaint is that the complimentary shuttle is not on a loop, it is on a reservation basis. The time I needed the shuttle to get me to my conference was already taken, so I was forced to drive my car to my training site. It was a parking nightmare, with no public lots within walking distance. I had to park on the street and leave the training every two hours to put more quarters in the meter. Though, the staff at the front desk was very friendly and did provide me with a map and directions.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Celeste S
ConcordHospitality, Manager at SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Bakery Square, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Celeste S,
Thank you for taking a moment and writing a review about your stay with us at SpringHill Suites. We're glad you were our guest and enjoyed your visit. I'm happy to hear that we were able to accommodate your changing schedule and hope you will be able to come and visit us again.
Saranac Lake, New York
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I'll be up front about the one criticism of the Springhill Suites, Bakery Square, My wife and I have two teenagers (well, 12 and almost 14). We like to travel, but we, all of us, hate to share rooms with each other. They want to watch crap teenage TV, while we hardly watch TV at all. They apparently like to squabble, and we have gotten over that. We really need rooms that separate our sleeping accommodations.I expect that from a "suite" It is also nice to have at least minimal cooking provided . When we got to our room at the Bakery Square, we found it nicely appointed, but with only one room, and one TV, with beds next to each other. Fridge, but not even a microwave. There was a small screened-off area with a desk and a sleeper sofa, which is where our son set up camp with the laptop. An inquiry to the desk informed us that all rooms were this way, no real "suites" as we understood them. It was really like a large double queen bed room, not a suite. I don't think their website is deceptive. I should have checked more thoroughly, but it was recommended for a family event, and I just went with it. We got by, but it what not what we expected.

I had no problems otherwise. Bakery Square was nice, clean, comfy beds, good comp breakfast, friendly helpful staff. Very modern decor, about which I could not care less. Oh, also access to two pools, one small one on the first floor, the other, large, for lap swimming, that could be accessed through the desk. Free parking on the weekend at the garage just steps away from the lobby was really nice.
So, fine place to stay, but don't expect suites with separate rooms to protect you from your children, or whatever.

Room Tip: See above.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank newt46
ConcordHospitality, Manager at SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Bakery Square, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
newt46,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us at SpringHill Suites. We're glad you and your family stayed with us, and we're pleased you enjoyed your visit. Our suites are spacious and layed out in a way to accomodate families, but I understand your thoughts about giving teens their space. I'm glad you liked our breakfast, pools, and staff as well! We hope you'll plan to visit us again soon.
Newport News, Virginia, United States
Reviewed October 15, 2012

This is not a five star hotel, but its five stars for:
Behind clean and super comfy
Convenient to a beautiful fitness center (huge)
Yummy breakfast
Close to my relatives
Close to shops
Great parking
Whenever I visit home, I stay here.

Room Tip: All my rooms have been wonderful.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, Manager at SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Bakery Square, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Rozalia J,
Thank you for your review. We're pleased to hear from you and learn of your great visits with us. I'm glad you choose SpringHill Suites when visiting relatives! We love having you as our guest and hope you'll continue staying with us.