“Pretty Good”

SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Bakery Square
Ranked #34 of 72 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I'll be up front about the one criticism of the Springhill Suites, Bakery Square, My wife and I have two teenagers (well, 12 and almost 14). We like to travel, but we, all of us, hate to share rooms with each other. They want to watch crap teenage TV, while we hardly watch TV at all. They apparently like to squabble, and we have gotten over that. We really need rooms that separate our sleeping accommodations.I expect that from a "suite" It is also nice to have at least minimal cooking provided . When we got to our room at the Bakery Square, we found it nicely appointed, but with only one room, and one TV, with beds next to each other. Fridge, but not even a microwave. There was a small screened-off area with a desk and a sleeper sofa, which is where our son set up camp with the laptop. An inquiry to the desk informed us that all rooms were this way, no real "suites" as we understood them. It was really like a large double queen bed room, not a suite. I don't think their website is deceptive. I should have checked more thoroughly, but it was recommended for a family event, and I just went with it. We got by, but it what not what we expected.

I had no problems otherwise. Bakery Square was nice, clean, comfy beds, good comp breakfast, friendly helpful staff. Very modern decor, about which I could not care less. Oh, also access to two pools, one small one on the first floor, the other, large, for lap swimming, that could be accessed through the desk. Free parking on the weekend at the garage just steps away from the lobby was really nice.
So, fine place to stay, but don't expect suites with separate rooms to protect you from your children, or whatever.

Room Tip: See above.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank newt46
ConcordHospitality, Manager at SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Bakery Square, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2012

newt46,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us at SpringHill Suites. We're glad you and your family stayed with us, and we're pleased you enjoyed your visit. Our suites are spacious and layed out in a way to accomodate families, but I understand your thoughts about giving teens their space. I'm glad you liked our breakfast, pools, and staff as well! We hope you'll plan to visit us again soon.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

This is not a five star hotel, but its five stars for:
Behind clean and super comfy
Convenient to a beautiful fitness center (huge)
Yummy breakfast
Close to my relatives
Close to shops
Great parking
Whenever I visit home, I stay here.

Room Tip: All my rooms have been wonderful.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, Manager at SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Bakery Square, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2012

Rozalia J,
Thank you for your review. We're pleased to hear from you and learn of your great visits with us. I'm glad you choose SpringHill Suites when visiting relatives! We love having you as our guest and hope you'll continue staying with us.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

I stayed here with a group for a wedding and did not have much of a chance to explore the surrounding area much. However the room was well laid out, included a generous lounging and work area, and an extremely comfortable bed. Daily breakfasts with a variety of options help get your day going. There is a shuttle service available to take you to the zoo, which is ranked #5 in the country. The city itself has been ranked one of the most livable as well. This was my second stay at a SpringHill Suites and I'm finding the chain itself an attractive option for future accommodations. There was even 'Hybrid Only' parking which made our car feel like a VIP compared to everyone else's.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends

Luke S,
Thank you for your kind review. I'm glad you liked our suites, and pleased you found our beds extremely comfortable. Glad to hear you liked the special parking too. We welcome you as a SpringHill Suites fan, and hope you will come and stay with us again soon.

Reviewed October 9, 2012

We love the Spring Hill Suites. This was our third visit and everything was just top notch. I even used my wonderful TripAdvisor tote bag this trip. The rates have increased with the popularity of the property, however, there is good reason. The rooms are so comfortable and spacious that you feel like you are staying in a studio apartment. The staff is great. Breakfast has lots of options and has been consistantly good. This property still has all the great qualities you expect and more. (Do we have spellcheck yet?)

Room Tip: There is a bus barn behind the property, however, we found that is has less street noise than the fr...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
ConcordHospitality, Manager at SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Bakery Square, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2012

LESLK,
Thank you for your review. We're glad to have had you return for another great visit. I appreciate your compliments and hope you'll visit us again soon.

Reviewed October 5, 2012

My husband and I stayed here one night last week because I was to see a specialist at UPMC/Presbyterian hospital the next day.
Our room was spotlessly clean, the bed was comfy and our stay was very nice.
The breakfast is wonderful with real scrambled eggs with or without cheese, waffles, oatmeal with every fresh topping you could think of. My husband thought the turkey bacon was great!
Best breakfast we've ever had.
Staff was courteous and friendly and very helpful with all our needs. Our trip to UPMC the next day took us 10 minutes.
This hotel is geared toward the business traveler and has many amenities. All in all our one night stay was lovely, not just because our son works there! Would stay here anytime.!

Room Tip: We stayed on the 5th floor facing the bus garages and we found it to be very quiet.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
ConcordHospitality, Manager at SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Bakery Square, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2012

Karen and Bob L,
Thank you for your delightful review. We loved having you as our guests. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us, and pleased you liked our delicious breakfast. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed October 2, 2012

Great hotel, good price and location. Easy access to The Strip. There is a beautiful park near hotel to fill in your time. Green Market on Sundays held at the Square. Free breakfast in the morning, lots to choose from!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, Manager at SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Bakery Square, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2012

LovingRetirement67,
Thank you for writing a kind review about your stay with us at SpringHill Suites. I'm glad you liked our hotel, and pleased you enjoyed our surrounding area as well. We invite you back for another great visit.

Reviewed September 20, 2012

Location: less than perfect. Bakery Square is in East Liberty, a run-down area that is undergoing a long-due facelift. The square itself is lovely, with a cafe, a Panera Bread, a sandwich place, a gym, and of course the Google offices. But the area is still problematic after dark. It's not very convenient to anything in Pittsburgh, but it's not too far either.

Room: very spacious, with a separate working area, a very comfortable bed, separate toilet and bathroom. It all smells fresh and new, spotlessly clean and very efficiently maintained. There's no safe in the room, but other than that it was perfect.

Staff: great, all of them.

Perks: free wifi. Free parking. Free breakfast (standard fare, but nicely presented and high-quality ingredients).

Bottom line: I'll come back.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
ConcordHospitality, Manager at SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Bakery Square, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2012

travellerJack,
Thank you for your review. We're glad you chose to stay with us and had a pleasant visit. I'm glad you found our rooms to be spacious, clean, and comfortable. Your compliments about our staff are also appreciated. We hope your travels will bring you back to visit us again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pittsburgh
Bloomfield
Courtyard Pittsburgh Shadyside
Bloomfield
Hyatt House Pittsburgh / Bloomfield / Shadyside
Southside Flats
HYATT house Pittsburgh-South Side

Been to SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Bakery Square? Share your experiences!